Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Open Letter to JBJ

Anthony Kuzminski has posted a couple of GREAT reads.

The first is a letter to Jon regarding set list choices. Some staggering stats from Tony K's post:

To be fair, I decided to sit down and see how many actual songs I have seen you perform over the last few decades. What I found surprised me. I have seen a total of thirty-seven shows over the course of seven tours stretching back two decades and have only seen a mere ninety-one songs performed. Sixteen of these are covers (and I’m including snippets including “Jumpin' Jack Flash”, “Good Lovin’”, etc.). So essentially I’ve seen seventy-five original Bon Jovi songs over thirty-seven performances. When looking at this, I decided to see how you matched up against the other “top grossing” acts on the road and here’s what I found:

• Over 37 performances Bon Jovi has done 91 songs (only 75 originals)

• I’ve seen The Rolling Stones 15 times and have seen 97 unique songs

• I’ve seen U2 20 times and have seen 87 unique songs (no snippets included)

• I’ve seen the Dave Matthews Band four times on one album cycle and saw 51 unique songs

• I’ve seen Pearl Jam a mere five times and they have performed 85 unique songs

• I’ve seen Bruce Springsteen 45 times and have seen a whopping 257 unique songs
Gotta give the rest a read. It's great.

The second post offers suggestions on how to punch up the set list. I like this particular post because I've always believed that if you tell me what the problems are, you damned well better have a solution in mind, otherwise you're just whining. When I managed people, my stock answer to any complaint was, "I understand your concerns, how can we make it better?" When met with a shrug and a blank stare, I knew I'd hit on a whiner.

Tony got hundreds of emails from fans, and he used them to put together statistics to share with Jon. Read the whole article, but here are a few highlights:

* These Days was the most requested "play in full" album among his responses. I know I blogged it a couple of times :)

* These were the top-10 requested songs ~ some you wouldn't expect:

Most Requested Songs:
1. "Edge of a Broken Heart"
2. "Wild Is The Wind"
3. "Dry County"
4. "I Believe"
5. "Hey God"
6. "Never Say Goodbye"
7. "Something To Believe In"
8. "In & Out of Love"
9. "Tokyo Road"
10. "Let It Rock"

Some requested songs that were not surprises:

12. "Diamond Ring"
15. "This Ain’t A Love Song"
16. "It’s Hard Letting You Go"
20. "Shooting Star"
22. "Bang A Drum"
31. "Let’s Make It Baby"
32. "Hook Me Up"
33. "Blood Money"
35. "One Wild Night"
38. "I’d Die For You"
39. "Only Lonely"
41. "Hallelujah"
42. "Here Comes The Sun"
44. "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
45. "Lie To Me"
About Richie's solo: He laments the repeat of Stranger and IBTFY, and offers some suggestions, any of which would make even the heart of the slightest Richie fan soar. To hear him playing Layla? Or We All Sleep Alone? Uh, yes, please!

About the Don't Play: Spot on, but missing Who Says :) Tony put that in the must play every night category. I think we're sick of that one.

Go, read Tony's articles. You won't be disappointed.

Then, if you're of a mind, tweet the links to @BonJovi. It will probably fall on deaf ears ~ it's been my experience that a "CEO of a major corporation" typically doesn't like to have his judgment questioned, but Jon has always struck me as a fair guy. He's said more than once he wants the fans to enjoy the experience. I want to believe him. I really do. But he's done/said things before that he hasn't come through on (including the Philly Soul Arena Bowl Champs celebration free show and looking into the O2 prices, to name a couple).

~ Hath

3 comments:

Lee-Ann February 10, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

I think Who Says deserves to be staple in North America merely because it was such a hit (although it wouldn't hurt to shorten the "S'alrights"). The song didn't do much anywhere else in the world though. I think Welcome to Wherever You Are actually charted higher over here.

Judith February 11, 2010 at 6:03 AM  

Thanks for posting this Hath!
I´ve just read Tony´s blog and he´s right on many parts.
Let´s hope he´s wrong and they actually do something different this tour.
As much as I love some of their hits, I´m tired of hearing nearly the same songs. They keep telling they´re not playing the same setlist every night, but if you only chance a few songs, well, and keep saying the same words to the crowd (!) it feels this way.
I´m with you Hath, I´d love to hear more from These Days! I know they have a bunch of great songs almost never played and I´m dying to hear those live!
And I really like the idea of playing entire albums! God, just imagine some of the real old stuff LOL

JBJBounce February 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

Tony always makes great points and he has again. however, I may be the exception, but I too have kept track of every song I've seen Bon Jovi play at the shows I've attended. For me, I saw my first show in 93, since then I've seen a total of 16 shows and I have seen 62 total songs including snippets and covers. I guess that means I've seen a wider variety than he has, however, there are songs I'd love to hear and others I'd love to hear again. Who Says is not one of them. Hit or not, I'm sick to death of it and it's been overplayed... and the it's alrights make me want to scream.

That CEO of a major corporation needs to start paying attention to his followers or he'll find himself to be the former CEO of a major corporation because there are a lot of die hards that are sick of the BS and aren't traveling this tour as they have in past ones. Myself included (although I don't travel like a lot of you do or did)


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP