Friday, February 19, 2010

Soraia ~ The Road Not Taken

Anthony Kuzminski has posted an article about Soraia over on antiMusic, with a teaser on his blog:
Last December Soraia singer Sue Mansour came to visit me in Chicago for the intent purpose of sitting down and getting her story for a feature-length article. Over two days, she peeled off layers of her soul I never expected and gave me such a bevy of information and jump-out-of-your-seat quotes that it took me forever to find the muse when compiling it all.

After nearly a month of trying to edit and write simultaneously, I started over, threw caution to the wind and had a enormous piece. It has been edited down and now you can read the final product over at antiMusic
For those of you who don't remember, Soraia opened for Bon Jovi at (and rocked the crap outta) Summerfest in 2009.  They are on the list of bands that Obie produces  (see picture, which I totally ripped off from Tony's site, sorry TK!)

Give the antiMusic article a read :)  I read it this morning, and thoroughly enjoyed it!  I would love to read the full, unedited article (hint, hint lol)

After my friend Catte raved about Soraia in the past, I had to ask her for her two cents' worth to share with you all, so you will be jazzed about them and give them a listen:
Tony's article lays out the past, and he has done a couple previous that are fan-freakin' tastic. In a previous interview with Sue he talks about her unique voice, and how she always loved music but was embarrassed to sing in school because she didn't sound like the other girls. She never thought she could ever have any sort of career in music. When Obie took them under his wing she eventually got hooked up with Jon's voice coach, who helped her refine her style.

The band recorded Shed the Skin (AWESOME album) at Sanctuary in Jersey. In lieu of paying for studio time, Jon asked Soraia to do something nice for Sister Mary & Project HOME. Soraia has played several benefit concerts for them, and she has worked personally with Sister Mary as well.

Richie played on their track "Had Enough" from Shed the Skin. There are a couple of YouTube videos of him and Sue and Dave in Henson studios in LA laying down the tracks.

Jon and Obie had a "disguised" cameo in the video for "Not The Woman", also filmed at Sanctuary. Jon is the one in the HUGE 'fro wig.

Soraia is very much a "fan's band". They play songs requested by fans, sometimes even spontaneously during a show. They all answer comments left on their website -- in fact, Sue e-mailed me personally after I left a "congrats" e-mail on their site, about their Summerfest gig! : )

Sue's voice is freakin' AMAZING. Girlies, if you haven't heard this band, you MUST give it a listen. Obie knows what he's talking about.

Their website is: http://www.soraia.com









~ Hath

2 comments:

Anthony Kuzminski February 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

Many thanks for posting this. They are a great band who deserve more recognition.

ZouZou February 20, 2010 at 2:06 AM  

Sue here. Thank you for reposting, Hath. Tony did honor to my story; can't ask for anything better than that. And thank you for the compliments! We try to impress, you know;)


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP