Sunday, March 28, 2010

Circle Arc 4: Mohegan Sun

Section 105 (upper deck, Bobby's side) both nights. Friday row H, Saturday, row B

OH MY GOD...

(told you I would start both reviews that way)

I apologize in advance for the lack of photos on this one.  Willow got her camera confiscated because it was an SLR, and we had security practically at our backs, so I was afraid to take mine out.  Bonnie and Queenie got a few good shots (thanks GF) and the pics here are theirs.

Getting Last Man Standing was FANTASTIC! I haven't heard the song live since Gillette Stadium during Hand (July, 2006). The crowd was enthusiastic, though most of the people in 105 were sitting down (grrrrr). We girls freaked out a little, because Jon and the guys were taking the stage right around 8:45 most nights. We heard This Is Our House as we were making our way out of the Ladies' room at 8:30. We nearly broke our necks getting up to our seats, but did so.

This was the better night for surprises (in terms of how many there were, starting with LMS). We got Captain Crash again (though that appears to be working its way back into the rotation pretty heavily. It does seem to be a crowd pleaser, though only a smattering of folks throughout the arena understood that Crash needed some help with the landing, and we had to wave him in). We got Have A Nice Day -- though I didn't see Richie flip off the crowd. That little moment always makes me smile. We girls up in 105 had him covered though, and flipped everyone off for him.

Hallelujah was back, and whatever was up with his voice Friday for Memory was long gone.  His voice was strong and his tone pure, and when he hit the long note towards the end of this one, he held it extra long as if to say "F you, voice.  THIS is what has to happen."  Very powerful.  Looking forward to reliving that one on YouTube.

The best surprise, though, was Miss Fourth of July. It was just amazing. And it was a very funny coincidence that we were talking about just that very thing on the way home from the venue on Friday night. We thought, hell, David has the accordion strapped on already, why not do Miss Fourth? Then BOOM, they do it. Uh, guys? Are you bugging my car again? And if you are, I certainly hope you stopped listening when the conversation turned dirty... Squeezebox (Who cover) was back for the second night which I LOVED, and Hot Legs came back. Verrrrry nice.

The hands-down best banter moments I've seen thus far (through the endless vids and few shows I've gone to) were tonight. First, Jon skipped the entire "we decade vs. me decade" speech. Thank you, Jonny! I totally believe in the message. I wholeheartedly support the idea of helping a person when he/she is down. I do not, however, need preachifying on the subject. It was a relief to not have to recite along with him on that one.

Second, during the opening few numbers, he got a good look at who was in the pit. He scanned the faces/bodies in the pit and said, "Looks like cougartown in here tonight". Of course, the crowd screamed with delight. He continued with "and I'm on the hunt". He was in a much better mood tonight; we were thinking that his voice/throat/whatever was feeling better.

The third was at the end, during Wanted. This is perhaps the most well-known Jovi song in the catalog. Yet, why is, it, that when it's played during a show, the audience forgets that there's actually an introduction to the song? They always start singing the lyrics WAY too early. This is one of my pet peeves.

Well on Saturday, Jon called them on it (I say 'them' and not 'us' because I know full well when the lyrics come in, thank-you-very-much). He walks up to the microphone, head shaking. Tells the crowd "you people have the worst timing.  I know my fans have more soul than that."  The exact words escape me for the moment, but it was funny as hell.

Finally, the banter before Hot Legs was a riot. The videos on BJCT will capture it exactly, but Jon was talking about how there he was, chilling out in his hotel room, listening to 8000 girls running around the halls when there was a knock on the door. He said he knew then he had a decision to make, whether to open the door... and Richie interrupts with "I know what my decision would be" :)


OK, it seems like there's always some new touring etiquette rule to talk about, and these two shows were no exception. Tonight's rant discussion is on cell phone / Conversation etiquette. Let me paint the picture.

You have paid $212 for a presale ticket.

Presale.

As in, bought it as soon as tickets of any kind were announced because you LOVE this band, ADORE their music, and WANT to see them in concert, even if you have to sit in the upper deck. You schlep yourself to Mohegan Sun, which is at least 1/2 a tank of gas, unless you live in the area. Parking is free (and the valets are super nice), but dinner and drinks you have to pay for. You get something to eat and/or drink, maybe play a table game or two. You've possibly taken a room at the hotel. You cougar yourself up, slinking into the tightest, sexiest outfit you have (girls) or you go casual-chic in jeans and a distressed tee (guys) and get yourself to the arena in time for Dashboard Confessional to leave the stage.

You get yourself to your seats, and chat, waiting for Bon Jovi to take the stage. Finally, "This Is Our House" hits the sound system. You know that this is the precursor to the show starting. The lights go out. You see the circle montage start to play on the big screen, and the crowd is going ballistic! You stand as the screen lifts, and the band starts to play...and then you sit down and continue your conversation. What the hell, people.

And for Pete's sake, don't scream your conversation over the sound of the band because it's too hard to hear what's being said. I really don't give a crap if Sally was going to go to bed with your or not. Really. Don't care. I want to watch my band in peace. Or at least with like-minded fans.

Then there's scenario 2. This one, I was personally privy to. Same scenario with making the effort to get the tickets and have dinner you're dressed up all cougar/chic/whatever and you spend the show sitting on your butt, texting your friends. Now, please don't jump down my throat. I completely understanding tweeting the set list, or the OMG posts to your friends when something cool is going on. Hell, I called girlfriends for certain songs (though I abstained from texting -- it takes too much attention away from the band, IMO). But seriously, the whole show?

Like Jon said when he was urging the crowd to its feet (which he should NEVER have to do), this ain't television, people.


All in all, a very satisfying couple of shows, even though the seats weren't as good. I have to say, comparing this to Philly, these were the better shows for me. Though the setlists and encores were shorter (most likely because of he "eh" feeling the crowds were putting out, and all the damned sitters) the surprises we got made these shine. The boys are off to DC next (Catte, and Wills, I expect full reports and photos, ladies!) and I wonder what surprises the boys will pull out in our Nations Capital?

I'm more jazzed than ever for the shows at Giants. I have a feeling though, not being able to go to the third night, I'm going to miss some historic stuff. Ah well, that's what YouTube is for, I guess.


~ Hath

Setlist
Last Man Standing (!)
We Weren't Born to Follow
Bad Name
Whole Lotta Leavin'
Born to Be My Baby
Lost Highway
Captain Crash
Sleep When I'm Dead
Runaway
When We Were Beautiful
Superman Tonight
We Got It Going On
Bad Medicine/Hot Legs
Homebound Train (Richie vox)
Hallelujah (!)
Miss Fourth of July (!)
Mama's Got a Squeezebox (!)
Someday I'll Be Saturday Night
Have a Nice Day (!)
Work for the Working Man
Who Says You Can't Go Home
Love's the Only Rule
Wanted Dead or Alive
Living on a Prayer


Video links, rips, and MP3s, along with pictures and reviews are up on the BJCT Blog

6 comments:

Kiwigirljbj March 28, 2010 at 7:40 PM  

Thanks for the review Hath! You are making me more and more excited for when we venture up to your shores! Can't wait! Maxine xoxo

Big Apple Jen March 28, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

They were definitely two fantastic shows ... totally worth the lack of sleep and the Greyhound ride. I had basically the same exact seat both nights - Sec 2, row 5 dead center (ironically, same exact place for Philly night 2.) I do believe Jon thought he was hallucinating. LOL

Never Say Goodbye, Fourth of July, lots of interaction with Jon and TICO were definite memory-makers.

I have one more show in this stretch - row 4 in the pit for DC tomorrow. These 5 shows have been extraordinary - a totally different feeling than multiple LH tour shows. I'm lovin' this. :-)

P.S. Seems Jon tweaked his back, thus the lack of rockstar jump. Still, the energy was fantastic. And the Kazee surprise was just over the top for me.

Big Apple Jen March 28, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

P.S.2. And I forgot ... one of my fave moments was poor Richie fighting with his electric double-neck. The switch must be really finicky ... this is not the first time this has happened. But, you can imagine the stink eye HRH gave him when it happened at the beginning of the song. When it happened during the solo, Jon just laughed. As I tweeted - that's live performance. Gotta love it.

Lisa Marie,  March 29, 2010 at 6:36 AM  

That was a weekend! Two great Jovi shows back to back. Both nights were different. I enjoyed your review. I was luck to have circle side seats (not a package) the first night and pit second night. I got both sides, and the view is amazing from both. ;)

Kris March 29, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

I wanna see them live too!!!

So far I'm living from YT.

Btw...found a video of Bad Medicine/Hot Legs...just great!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOM9JNlRR4

Judith March 29, 2010 at 2:25 PM  

Thanks for your great review!
Wow you´ve got an amazing set list!
It looks like you really had a blast :)

Just one thing about the audience sitting throughout the entire concert...that´s why I would prefer concerts in Europe. You have no chance except to dance until the end ;) There are no seats, thank god!
Exhausting, but hell, Jon does it too and hey, he´s older than me ;)
And without seats he never has to ask the audience to get up for a song. You are right Hath, he should never have to do that...


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP