Monday, July 26, 2010

Never Say Goodbye

In an article from The Boston Globe, Sarah Rodman asks Jon some pretty standard questions, but got some really great answers.  It was a good read.  What I found most interesting was in the lead-in, so that's what I'm going to concentrate on here this morning.

Bon Jovi may only be playing one show at Gillette Stadium, but thanks to recent residencies at other venues — including 12 nights at London’s O2 arena — the band is primed to play just about anything. Whether it’s tracks from the multiplatinum rockers’ most recent release, "The Circle," expected hits like "Livin’ on a Prayer" or a deep cut from his "Young Guns II"-inspired solo album "Blaze of Glory", Jon Bon Jovi is prepared.

"A lot of bands write a set list and go out and do that all year. We’ve never been that kind of band," the frontman said recently by phone from Philadelphia. Just don’t expect to hear ’80s pop metal anthem "In & Out of Love." Ever again. "Oh lord, no thank you. Pass."
The second paragraph is what caught my eye. Bon Jovi NOT doing the same set list all year? Really? For those who have been following the posted set lists, there has been very little variation in the content of said lists. I say content, because strictly speaking the set list has not been identical each night. And to the band's credit, they have been throwing in audibles (most recently this past Saturday with Always and I Love This Town in the encore) and digging deep for some gems that have made the Fandom very happy. But overall, to borrow a line from Two Story Town, "it's just the same old sights, and the same old sounds".

Not that I don't still love them, because I do. It's just that you can't tout yourself as a "we've never been like that" when in fact you ARE like that. You, the band for whom "there's no dancers, there's no diamonds" have replaced these with TelePrompTers and "scripted" song choices. I don't have the reference handy, but I know I've read in more than one place that the band was proud that they had more than 90 songs programmed for the tour.

Programmed.

What happened to the days of "Hey, the crowd looks into it, let's dig deep for something that will knock them on their asses"? Now it's "Let's see what's programmed into the cheater on the stage, and what we have graphics done up for".

Now, some of you will tell me to take a chill pill and leave them alone. They're still putting on great shows, and if I didn't like it, I could stay home.

Yep, all true. And I've enjoyed each and every show I've gone to this tour.

I'm just saying.

Respectfully dissenting opinions welcome!

~ Hath

5 comments:

Sabine July 26, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

I totally agree with you! :-)

Lee-Ann July 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

There are bands that literally have identical setlists throughout the tour to the point where I would never even remotely consider seeing them more than once because it would be the exact same show. Bon Jovi is a step up from that but they definitely don't mix up the set anywhere near as much as Jon would have you believe. There are artists who do genuinely mix it up all the time and/or consistently take audience requests. Bon Jovi only do that in brief flashes.

TaraLeigh July 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

Yep.
I gotta go with Kenobe on that. It's definitely that they mix up the setlist itself, not the songs so much. I saw The Police last year and was startled by the short set. It was 90mins. I looked up the setlists and every single solitary one was the same. Same order, down to the same drum solo.

I'd love to see the band take more crowd requests--but the programming--I bet that's more to do with the rigging of the stage tahn anything else.

It's too bad.

I saw them at SPAC in upstate NY and there was no bells and whistles--not even a big screen behind them.

One of the best shows i've EVER seen because it was so stripped down and intimate. I'm so glad I got to go to that one.

But then I saw them at the NMS...loved the big pomp and circumstance as well.

And watching the vid of Always from that lovely Gillette show? I'm lovin' the passion on their own songs again. Lately I've felt like most of the spontaneous stuff is saved for the cover songs. But watching Jon dig so deep for that Always--and Richie's haunting solo?
yeah.
It totally kicked my ass...and I'm so sorry I missed seeing it live.

Becky July 26, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

This is a great post - I think it succinctly sums up what many of us in the 'Fandom' are feeling. The entire debate over who wants what song and why aside, Jon's remark that they never were that kind of band made my jaw drop. Does he REALLY think that, or does he REALLY think he's fooling us all into believing it?

I thought that with the endless urging from fans everywhere, he'd have gotten the hint. It seems he did in London, anyway, which so far has seen the best setlists of the tour. But when they came back to NMS right afterward, it was straight back to vanilla, standard hits. THAT to me was not cool, especially considering that it's your hometown and more fans would know the b-sides and rarer songs in that area than any other around the globe. At least, you'd think so from a performer's standpoint.

Ah well. Unfortunately it makes it a little easier for me to go through my withdrawals -- I won't see them again until next year in Europe. Hopefully by then, they'll be tired of the standard hits and cookie cutter, PROGRAMMED sets. But probably not.

foxli July 27, 2010 at 5:36 AM  

Great post Hath, exactly my thoughts. And it doesn't only makes me sad but mad that Jon prefers to please more the casuals than the diehards. Die-hards who've been spending thousands of £££ over the years on this band and are getting rewarded with a GH setlist over and over again, at least in the US.

I was lucky enough to be at last O2 show in London where they pulled out These Days and Hard Letting You Go due to a massive request in the pit. It was a magic moment (not only for us but also for the band) and the proove they CAN do it.

Why they don't open the treasure box more often is beyond me :-(


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP