Saturday, June 26, 2010

Jon-The-Dwarf

Now, don't go getting all PC on me.  I mean as in one of Snow White's lil cartoony guys.

Grumpy.

Read for yourself and see what I mean.

It was worth meeting Jon Bon Jovi, just to feel good abut being dismissed by him. On reflection, I thought it was shaping up as ‘one of those days’ as we began our formal interview in one of the up-market rooms of London’s Oriental Mandarin hotel.

As our cameramen informed me that we were set and right to start, Jon slouched into his chair, showing no sign of wanting to remove his rock star sunglasses and show me the whites of his eyes.

With natural trepidation, I asked if it was possible to see his face and reluctantly he obliged but the die was cast. Clearly, he looked tired – which was not surprising given the gruelling tour schedule the band is currently subjected to – and from the outset, not too happy.

That said, it was terrific to be able to chat to a real survivor of the music industry and a genuine star who has guided his band through a hugely successful career which still sees them pulling bigger crowds than the likes of Madonna, The Police or even Bruce Springsteen.

Aside from his obvious talents as a musician, the thing that makes Jon Bon Jovi unique is the relationship he has with his regular band members. Jon is essentially the CEO of the whole ship. It’s his name on the record company contracts and he in turn “hires” the other three members of the band – Richie Sambora, Tico Torres and David Bryan. So Jon is the boss and when you see him in action, even in a pre-concert sound check, you can see that quite clearly.

It’s a formula that has worked extremely well for them but, once again, not really one they want to be reminded of. After what we thought was a productive yak with the band in the bowels of the London’s O2 stadium, we copped a phone call the next morning from Bon Jovi’s P.R flak who suggested we might have offended them.

We later discovered, to our surprise, that they didn’t like questions about the nature of their employment relationship with Jon.

It was a shame as they seemed like really decent guys and hadn’t even hinted at any problem when we were face-to-face but, anyway, back to their boss. Jon’s grumpy demeanour improved markedly when we finished the interview at the hotel and jumped into the van taking us to their concert.

He was happy and joking all the way to the stadium, at which point the band began the sound check and his intensity went into overdrive.

Forty minutes later, as he exited the stage and we approached him for what we thought was the final time, he looked to his minder and barked: “I’m through with these guys, I’m finished with them” and turned on his heels. Now, under normal circumstances, I would have thought it rude but something about the whole rock stereotype thing made it just right. Almost fitting.

I’ve talked to quite a few big stars, who, to a person, always exercise a little graciousness in making their goodbyes, no matter what they really think of the questions but I suppose in Jon’s case, when you have that much money and you look that good, you really have a license to do anything, don’t you?

Thanks L, for the link!

~ Hath

source

4 comments:

Super_Kiwi June 26, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

Oh ouch LOL
He got pissy Jon! On Steroids!

I'm not going to go on about everyone having bad days as I do think Jon can be like this more often than not. I am sure the 12 shows at the o2 are starting to take their toll.

This was interesting, it's always interesting to get a little side of reality once and awhile. ;)

Vicki ~ bonjerseygirl,  June 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

Whoa, someone's got his shitty pants on!!! I'm sure everyone has a bad day, but Jon's have become days, weeks and now moving into months territory, lol!!! And it must be filtering down to Richie, Dave and Tico if their employment status beneath Jon is becoming touchy for them to discuss as well...I hope when they take the month of August off, they can regroup and come back to the tour refreshed.

alicefayenjbj June 26, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

Ok who pissed in his corn flakes that morning or did Starbucks run out of coffee?

rude to the press doesn't make good copy...but then again I was shocked to see Happy Jon in Charlotte for a change...we normally get Pissy Jon.

I think all those days in O2 is getting to him ...they need August off! A little trip to the Hampton's little R&R with the family...little one on one with the misses?

Anonymous,  June 27, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

It's unsettling me to hear that Jon is like this more often lately, and the others are getting grumpy about the whole employment situation. I hope there are no fractures in the band, I can't bear to think this is the last tour etc. I just hope its becuase they're tired. Lord knows I'm exhausted after 12 shows, and I've just been watching them (albeit going to work every day too). I don't know how they do it.

Vicki


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP