Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Circle Suffers 70% Sales Decline in Week 2

We talked about this a couple days ago, and hinted around at what we thought the issue might be. Tony K posted a fantastic opinion piece on the topic; I highly encourage the read.

For most fans that I know, it's automatic: Bon Jovi comes out with a new record, we buy it. We buy the singles (even if they are sans-Sambora-solo) and we feel disappointed when we can ONLY go to a few shows in different cities near us.

For myself, I'm a late bloomer to the Jovidom. I was a fan back in the 80's but was also a teenager, and had more important things to do than follow a band. I mean, I had prom, marching band, and college to worry about.

I lost track of them in the 90's, having life experiences that included graduate school, my first job, traveling, almost marrying someone who is not the current Mr. Hath, and reconnecting with the now Mr. Hath.

This decade, I had pretty much given up on commercial radio, and opted for all iPod, all the time. I loaded up all my CDs, cassettes, and cassingles (you remember those?) and sure, there was some Bon Jovi in there, but the catalog stopped at New Jersey. I was dealing with married life, having a baby, and following my beloved New England Patriots.

Then the HAND tour hit Gillette.

On a lark, I rounded up some of my other nearly-forty-something friends and we had a great time. We all commented on how we had no idea they were still making music, how great they still sounded, though they looked a little rough around the edges. We didn't know all the songs, but for me, that performance lit a spark.

I started following the band (some would say) fanatically and now I consider myself one of the die-hard fans. I don't belong to the FC, and I don't watch every single interview and commit the words to memory, but I watch most things, remember some, and enjoy the hell out of it.

With The Circle, yes, I purchased three copies of the record (though one was forced on me with the presale tickets to Gillette) am am fortunate to be able to afford to see them seven times next year -- four in one week. (THAT will be an interesting week.... wonder if I'll get the same playlist every night?)

I know lots of fans in the same position, and was surprised at the sales performance of the new record. Tony makes some really great points in his article:

  • In this day and age of digital piracy, still managed to move more records than the Jovi.
  • Partnering with 4th place network NBC may not have been the smartest move
  • Quit shoving WWBTF down our throats (I totally am paraphrasing here, Tony says it with far more flourish and way nicer) there are other songs on the record that are just as good or better
  • About the documentary -- was Showtime the best place for it?

Even the fans who think the band can do no wrong and believes they walk on water (we call them the KoolAid drinkers around here) have to admit that Tony these are valid points.

Still and all, I'm excited for my upcoming Jovi tour experiences. Admittedly, I'm giddy with excitement over getting to see Bon Jovi perform live ~ say what you will, they still put on a hell of a show ~ but I'm more excited to connect with girlfriends from all over the world that I either haven't seen in a long time or haven't met in person yet.

~ Hath

0 comments:


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP