Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Happy Birthday, Ozzy!



No, you're not in the wrong place. Don't be afraid. He won't REALLY get you. But I couldn't let today pass without saying happy birthday to rock and roll's prince of darkness. Shocked that this girl loves her Ozzy? You shouldn't be. I am a DarkSider after all --- you don't get much darker than The Great And Powerful Oz.

Ozzy turned 60 today.

The father of heavy metal and former Black Sabbath frontman never anticipated such longevity, figuring he'd succumb to his rock and roll excesses long before he was eligible for social security: "Let me tell you, when I was 20 I was going, I'd go, 'I'm gonna die by 40.' And that was all right until I was 39 and a half."

Although he's threatened to retire before and is now entering his seventh decade, Osbourne told us not long ago that he has no intention of calling it quits these days: "I don't wanna stop, you know. It's been the biggest love affair of my life. When you reach a certain age in rock 'n' roll, people think, 'Well, this has got to be his last tour,' or 'This has got to be his last tour,' or 'You've got to come next Tuesday 'cause he ain't gonna do it after that.' You'll know when I've come off the road permanently. I mean, you'll know!"

John Michael Osbourne was born in the Aston district of the gritty industrial town of Birmingham, England, one of Jack and Lillian Osbourne's six kids.

John dropped out of school at the age of 15, working as a laborer, plumber, toolmaker and slaughterhouse worker. He also spent a few weeks in prison after being arrested for burglary.

He later formed a band with classmate and guitarist Tony Iommi. The pair decided to play a darker, blues-influenced style of music instead of the psychedelic rock that was all the rage at the time. That group, originally called Earth, became Black Sabbath. Completed by drummer Bill Ward and bassist Geezer Butler, Sabbath became hugely successful with albums like Paranoid, Master of Reality and Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath.

The group arguably created the template for heavy metal and inspired generations of bands over the past 38 years. Sabbath was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.

Ozzy left Sabbath in 1979 and embarked on an even more successful solo career with albums like Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman and last year's Black Rain. He reunited with Sabbath in 1997 and the band has toured sporadically since then.

Happy birthday, Ozzy!

~ Hath

2 comments:

Anonymous,  December 3, 2008 at 10:52 PM  

You always surprise me Hath.

So Ozzy turned 18 2 days before i was born. I wonder if he was still hung over from his party...

Faithfully yours,
The Fiction Mistress

Judith December 4, 2008 at 6:15 AM  

hahahaha, oh Ozzy, I hope he had a great birthday :)
I think I have all Black Sabbath discs at home, great music!
I can only imagine how his birthdayparty would be...LOL...I´m sure not like everyone else party ;)
He´s a real freak, some other people would be dead by now with all the things happened in the past...
I like him, hehe, but his life would be a lot easier with only ONE dog or cat at home :D


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP