Friday, May 21, 2010

NJ Transit Bon Jovi Contest (and a ramble)

Want to win tickets?

NJ Transit wants customers to check out their summer services, so they're offering a drawing to see Bon Jovi in concert a week from Saturday at the new Meadowlands Stadium.

If you visit njtransit.com now through Tuesday, you can enter. The random drawing will be held before the first show on Wednesday, May 26, in the rotunda of the Frank Lautenberg Train Station at Secaucus Junction.

The grand prize winner will receive 10 tickets for the May 29 show...and of course, train transportation to get there! Ten second-place winners will get four tickets and transportation.

The summer services they are promoting include rides to the shore, Great Adventure, Monmouth Park, and the Meadowlands.

source

Fifty tickets set aside for (what seems to be) a last-minute promotion makes me wonder: does this mean that Bon Jovi has *gasp* failed to sell out Giants' Stadium? (ducks from the bricks being thrown). Don't hate, I'm just askin'.

It wouldn't be a surprise to some (that BJ couldn't sell out a stadium). According to the forums at VelvetRope, where members were talking about Gillette Stadium:

Apparently even with Keith Urban and the return of the Dixie Chicks as support acts, the Eagles' date at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA is tanking in a big way. It could be an embarrassing wake-up call for a few egos.

Bon Jovi - who used to do great business there, is also having trouble selling tickets, even with Kid Rock as an opener. They're adding Nickelback as a second "special guest" which is, I'm assuming, to keep Richie and Jon from having to stare at a half-empty stadium for two hours.

Taylor Swift on the other hand, was a near-instant sellout.

Anyone know how the Eagles/Bon Jovi tours are selling elsewhere?

Some responders mentioned being "bombarded with discount and 2-for-1 offers" prior to the HP Pavillion show.

Some other comments:

Fans of Bon Jovi and the Eagles are older and they know what a huge hassle it is to go to stadium shows. The Taylor Swift fans haven't experienced lousy sound, too hot, too cold or rain, two hours of tracffic to get in and out of the parking lots- esp at Gillette. Most Bon Jovi and Eagles fans have already seen them in much smaller venues and can take a pass much easier on this show. Then, throw all that in with "are you serious?!?!?!" ticket prices, and you have yourself a half empty stadium

I've never understood how Bon Jovi has been able to tour like they do. It's pretty impressive that they can still play stadiums and can out-draw bands who have much better catalogs than they do. I'm not hatin', I admire their make the most out of what they have.

Would add that latest bon jovi album is an underperformer that seems like it didn't connect with base or radio like other recent records. Time to rewrite living on a prayer again.

All around, an interesting topic. And I'm jazzed to see Nickleback as another opener.

For me, I think nothing quite compares to an outside show. The open air (maybe even some rain -- isolated thunderstorms are on the forecast for night 2 at Giants'), the ginormous screens, the energy of all those screaming fans.... I don't know. It's just DIFFERENT outside.

But what do you think? Why are the stadium sell-outs [apparently] so difficult? Is it the ridiculous prices? Is it that we (those who grew up with this band and have done a stadium show or two) don't want the hassle, and would rather see them in a "more intimate" setting?

Inquiring minds want to know...

~ Hath

5 comments:

Anonymous,  May 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

I can't speak for anyone else, tho I can see the point of most of those quotes, but for me the problem is strictly financial. When the choice is rent or concert, sorry Bon Jovi, I choose to keep a roof over my head. It's that whole 'Livin' On A Prayer' ethic they guys themselves taught me.

-Anastasia

Unknown May 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

I agree with Anastasia..also I think its ridiculous that Nickelback is opening for them. I know they did during HAND but since then this little Canadian band has skyrocketed and is headlining their own tour!

I agree Hath something about an outdoor show makes it worth while. (Just checked the weather and its 30% for night 1 now, and night 2 is clear!) There is something magical about being at a rock show (esp BJ) and hearing upwards of 50,000 singing along. You definitely dont get that when they play smaller venues.

Nayeli May 21, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

For me Hath its logistics, I have indoor locations to see them within 90 miles but hell Jersey is a 4 hour plane ride/transportation/hotel and damn the ticket prices in relation to seat location. I've seen them quite a few + some times and as great as outdoor shows are for the pure volume of people involved. The indoor shows to me are just more bang for the buck(s) I'm spending.

Anonymous,  May 21, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

If the end result of adding Nickelback to the Gillette show is a SHORTER set from Bon Jovi, I'm going to be royally pissed. I bought a pit ticket for Jovi. I'm traveling to Boston (damn pricey in the summer) for Jovi. If our guys still play a full stadium show, then I'm fine with it. I'll be happy to see Nickelback, because I missed them on their current tour. They played Atlanta on the same night that Jovi played in Nashville. No brainer where I went!

Anonymous,  May 22, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

Nickelback might be headlining their own tour, but they still only play about 90 minutes. Right now they have three opening bands with them.

I'd too hope that adding them would not mean less Jovi, but so far this is the only article I've seen it mentioned. Who knows whether it's true or not.

Personally, I HATE stadium concerts. Give me a shed or arena anyday.


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP