Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Ok... Who's YOUR Favorite Rock God?

And don't just pick Richie or Jon because they're hot and this is a Jovi-based blog. I think we all agree that they're gods in their own rights. But the ULTIMATE Rock-God? Hate to say it, but I don't think so. I agree, they're up there on the list, but at the very tippy-top? Hmmm, I'm not convinced.

A rock god is loosely defined as an artist that is so talented and amazing that he is worshiped as a god by his fans. That defines basically every artist out there. For every artist, there is a fan base that worships him or her.

I believe it has to be a little more than that. I humbly submit some basic criteria:

  • An artist who any average person on the street has heard of, and can sing part of at least one major song
  • An artist who is iconic of his/her time
  • An artist who other artists try to emulate
  • An artist whose music is [still] timeless and relevant, and has a damn good melody
  • And okay, if you insist, an artist who is HOT and you worship for one reason or another
I agree with JBJBounce's comment on the original thread that Freddy Mercury wouldn't be at the top of my list. He'd be on the list, but not at #1. In my opinion, Elvis was the quintessential Rock God. He had charisma, style, music that couldn't (and still can't) be beat, and a voice that could be hard (think Hound Dog) or moving (Love Me Tender), with lyrics that most people can't help but sing along to. He did everything from Rock to Gospel to Blues to Holdiay Favorites, and was just everywhere.

So, who are your choices? Leave a comment or send me an email, and I'll pull together the list, and we can have our own little vote on it.

~ Hath

6 comments:

Queenie January 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

I agree with everything you said about Elvis Hath. He was truly the original Rock God.

In the list of Rock Gods (I would include Bon Jovi on the list, but, even as much as I LOVE them, not at the top) you have to include The Boss, Mr. Bruce Springsteen. He's gotta be on that list too!

JBJBounce January 7, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

I agree with you Hath, completely. Freddy Mercury had a following, as do the boys of Bon Jovi, but the ultimate rock god(s), imho, would be another duo John Lennon/Paul McCartney. Who doesn't know the lyrics to at least one of their hits? Their music will always be timeless and even the guys of Bon Jovi look up to them and emulated them. Yes, true icons of their time. And for one, back when they were THE band, Paul was a HOTTIE and still was for a good number of years....he's not even bad at the ripe old age of 66.

And having waxed poetic about the Beatles even I have to admit that Queenie is right, the King is and always will be THE KING.

Anonymous,  January 7, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

You've already hit on the 2 (okay, 3 actually) who would be my primary choices. The Beatles and Elvis Presley are without doubt the top of the chart. What order, tho? That would be almost too tough to call.

Now if you just said 'music' instead of specifying 'rock', I'd have to offer up Willie Nelson and Hank Williams Jr.
-Stas

Judith January 7, 2009 at 6:19 PM  

I think you can´t really give an answer to this Hath cause every decade has their rock gods.
And why should it be the front singer of a band?
I agree that Elvis was really great, because he was unique and a great singer. But he´s not a rock god for me, sorry to say. He just played too often stuff, I dunno if this is the right word in english, but I would call it slushy (?) ( okay now you all can hit me...LOL)
Paul McCartney and John Lennon yes, they influenced so much bands, they has to be on the list. Even when I think they both are/were not really good looking ;)
Definitely Freddy Mercury, outstanding voice, with the perfect guitarist Brian May.

On my list would be also Mick Jagger. Some say he looks good...well...maybe they need glasses..lmao, but he´s still on stage. And I do believe they will make music till one of them dies.

And on my list would be Pete Townsend/ Roger Daltrey from The Who, one of the most influential rock bands of the 1960s and '70s

And of course, don´t forget Jimmy Page and Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin.

joviswillow January 7, 2009 at 11:39 PM  

I have to agree with everyone who has commented so far. All of the names that have been mentioned are outstanding in their own rights. A few others I would have to include: Sting and Elton John, although one might argue that both are more "pop" than "rock".

I would def and Robert Plant to the list... very close to the top.

Anonymous,  January 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

It's hard for me to say I picture anyone as a Rock "God". I wouldn't say I see anyone in that light. It's too hard to choose that way. However some of my favorites of course are Elvis, Lennon and McCartney, The Boss, Jon and Richie. Oh and as for that list and listing Freddie Mercury at the top wasn't the right choice in my opinion, but I'm biased and would even go on to say that Steve Perry had a better voice than Mercury. He's on my list of folks, too.


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP