Monday, January 05, 2009

JBJ in Dolphin Orange and Teal?

I've read a couple of different articles speculating about Jon's presence at the Miami/Baltimore game this past weekend. One reporter, from Page2Live asked Jon if he was looking to buy in.

“Me buying into this? I don’t think so,” was the response.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if he bought in; remember that piece he wrote for the NFL Internet Network (I had to search hard for the reference to make sure I could find the quotes.... wound up on the Chargers' site...)? He came right out and said that he's always had a spot in his heart for the Dolphins:

As a spectator, I can't remember not being involved in football. My earliest memory is of the Miami Dolphins. Bob Griese and the Miami Dolphins -- first losing the Super Bowl -- then going back and winning the Super Bowl. I remember writing on my football in chalk -- "Griese's Gang."

I just loved the Dolphins. Griese, Paul Warfield, Mercury Morris, Jim Kiick, Larry Csonka, Nick Buoniconti and the head coach was still Don Shula then. I remember it to this day. I could probably still rattle off exactly where each one of them went to college, what positions they played, their stats -- they were my team when I was very young.

As a kid, the appeal of the Miami Dolphins hit home with me -- they were larger than life. Football was always my family's sport and my family's love of the New York Giants started long before I was around. The New York Giants were the home team and our family favorite. As soon as I was able to appreciate what that really meant -- even enduring all the losing seasons -- the Giants became my team and remain my team to this very day.
On the flip side, he's also close friends with Coach Bill Parcells.
I have been fortunate to get to know Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick and have remained close with them over the years. I was lucky enough to be on the team bench and in the team locker room when the Giants won Super Bowl XXV in Tampa in 1990. How many people can say that Bill Parcells and Phil Simms have had dinner at their house?
So, which would win out? Loyalty to a team that is among his earliest football memories? Or loyalty to a close personal friend?

See, the soon-to-be new owner, Stephen Ross is lukewarm about committing to keeping the Tuna afloat after the off-season.

From what I gather, Ross is all about turning the NFL into an NBA-type event where celebs come to see and be seen. He thinks the 'phins should be as much about entertainment as winning football games. He understands the show is on the field but believes that still leaves room for sideshows elsewhere.

Uh, hello? They're the DOLPHINS for cryin' out loud.

With a NY team sure (she says grudgingly, with the bile rising in her throat) where there are rivalries and familial ties (coughManningscough) but Miami? Uh, no.

Ross likes the NBA approach where the game is an event and the celebrities come out to see it and be seen. That is the reason Ross invited friend Jon Bon Jovi, the 80's rock star, to attend Sunday's game.

Parcells likes the "hey, it's football, how 'bout we win some games" approach. If they can't find common ground, then Tuna is toast.

~ Hath

1 comments:

Anonymous,  January 6, 2009 at 8:25 PM  

When I mentioned to my husband that there was speculation that JBJ had his eye on the Dolphins the 1st thing he said is "We are not moving to Miami" LOL!!!!
Chris


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP