Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sweet Vally High...the Musical?

Playbill and Off Off Broadway World are both (in a sideways manner) posting information about a new musical featuring music/lyrics from our favorite Tony Award Winner.  As part of a bio listing of producer John Znidarsic, both websites are saying that:

...recent and upcoming projects include a new musical Fast Breaks - The Comings and Goings at Sweet Valley High by Francine Pascal and David Bryan of Bon Jovi...
I think this musical has been "in the works" since early last decade (thought that may not mean anything) and I can't seem to find anything recent about the SVH vehicle.

According to a Forever Young Adult post earlier this year, which is totally tongue-in-cheek with respect to SVH, there is a "demo" CD of a few songs from this project.  I make no promises that these songs are legit, but they are kinda fun...

1 – Forever Lives in Us
2 – The First Time
3 - My Piece of Heaven
4 - Ain't No Second Chance
5 - Private World

As for the musical itself, you may recall David talking about it in the "From Netherworld to Memphis" interview from last year with Brian Reesman:
Then finally he said, “What about musicals?” I said, “What are those?” He said, “I can get you 20 songs covered eight times a week.” “I’m interested.” At the time he put me together with Frank Military. John Teeter was the publisher and Frank Military was an old Broadway guy who knew Sinatra and knew everybody because he was 80 years old at the time. He knew Francine Pascal, who was Michael Stewart’s sister, and Michael Stewart wrote Bye-Bye Birdie and Mack & Mabel. He was huge. He was also in Sid Ceasar’s Show Of Shows. He had passed away, and Francine had his whole world. She had a book series called Sweet Valley High that sold about 500,000,000 copies in 20 years around the world. She knew Michael Price at Goodspeed [Opera House] up in Connecticut, and there was no rock ‘n roll at the time on Broadway in ’98. I wrote all the music and lyrics about this character who went from point A to point B, and used in my mind what was a hit chorus. I did that [the basic rock formula] for 23 songs for that. We got to a certain point where we had done a reading and they put about $30,000 into it. Everybody’s opinion was, “It’s loud. It’s too loud. Why do the songs repeat like that?” “It’s not too loud, and it’s rock ‘n roll. That’s what a rock song does — it takes your emotions and is a simpler form than classical, but it is a highly complicated form of emotion.” So I got to certain point and then it stopped, and I sat around.
The idea of "rock-n-roll on Broadway" isn't so far-fetched anymore.  Maybe a restoration of this project is in order!

The question remains as to whether the published info in the bio of Mr. Znidarsic in these recent articles are inclusive of "old information" with respect to Sweet Valley High.  I have no idea.  My Google Alerts hasn't told me yet.

~ Hath

1 comments:

Anonymous,  August 17, 2011 at 4:54 PM  

there was no rock and roll on broadway in 98? What about Tommy back in 91? Or JCS in the 70s...

What about Rent? Hm.


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP