Tuesday, March 15, 2011

WHO is Killing the Music Business?

Of course, by now you've heard the buzz about Jon blaming Steve Jobs for personally killing the music business. In case you happened to have missed it, here's the scoop:

"Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it," the Hollywood Reporter quoted the rocker as telling the UK-based Sunday Times Magazine. "God, it was a magical, magical time.

"I hate to sound like an old man now, but I am, and you mark my words, in a generation from now people are going to say: 'What happened?'" he reportedly said. "Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business."
source

Bloggers all over the place have been talking about this -- not only in the JoviSphere, but everywhere:

NY Mag offers this:
Steve Jobs, who presented an online system that actually got artists paid and staunched the illegal downloading that had previously gripped the music industry, has personally thwarted the most important criteria you could use when deciding whether to buy a record: the ability to discern for yourself just how feathery Jon Bon Jovi's chunky Meg Ryan do is on the album jacket.

Mac Daily News is a little harsher:
Johnny Bongiovi misses the time when children were cajoled into parting with their allowance money for wildly overpriced, forced bundles of sight unseen, or rather, sound unheard, crapshoots; 99.9% of which were packed to the gills with filler. Ah, “the good old days.”

Today, thanks to Steve Jobs, a good portion of music consumers still actually pay for music and also actually have – *gasp* – consumer choice! Music consumers can now buy exactly what they want while not paying for things they don’t. Imagine that! Consumers can also still buy a full album via Apple’s iTunes Store, complete with artwork and more, if they so desire. Nobody’s stopping them. And, oh by the way, artists are still getting rich. All of this is thanks to Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs is personally responsible for saving the music business, you vapid twit.

TechRadar was harsher still, but made me laugh out loud:
With average ticket prices of $105 a pop, the band's tour was the highest grossing of 2010.

It's all about tickets. The next album could be seventy minutes of Bon Jovi shouting "balls!" while Richie Sambora plays the banjo with his buttocks, and Bon Jovi would still make tens of millions of dollars from the subsequent stadium tour.

If that's the music business Bon Jovi would like to save, perhaps we're better off without it.

But as fun as a "Balls and Banjo" show sounds, perhaps the best "response" I've read comes from Jeremy Horwitz on iLounge.com:
An Open Letter to Jon Bon Jovi On What’s Really “Killing The Music Business”


Hi Jon,

When my wife—a huge and long-time Bon Jovi fan—asked me to spend over $300 for two floor seat tickets to your Valentine’s Day show in Toronto, there were two reasons that I said yes. First, I really love my wife, and would do almost anything for her. Second, I looked through my iTunes collection and realized that there were more good Bon Jovi songs inside than there were for most of the musicians I “love.” Once my wife assured me that your concerts focus mostly on the songs I liked, I plunked down the cash for the seats, and spent the next four months watching my wife smile every time we discussed Valentine’s Day.

To be totally honest with you, the concert was great. We both had a lot of fun, snapped pictures and video clips from the floor, and told our friends and family how much we enjoyed it.

But now you’re putting our happy memories in jeopardy. For whatever reason, you told The Sunday Times Magazine during an interview that “Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business.” I’m not going to try and tell you all of the ways that you’re deeply, profoundly wrong. Instead, I’m just going to focus on a few of them.

(1) My wife has carried around all of your albums (and many more) on Steve Jobs’ Apple devices since she bought her first iPod years ago. I know from personal experience that she taps into your collection at home, in the car, and on vacations—literally at the drop of a hat, whenever she wants. If she hadn’t, I would have forgotten about your band back in the 1980’s. No CD player or radio station would have changed that, I can guarantee you.

(2) When we got married, her music collection became mine and vice-versa. It’s because of her collection of Bon Jovi music—and her constant access to it on Apple’s devices—that I could look at my iTunes library and realize how many of your songs I liked.

(3) We attended your concert in Toronto a month ago. Photos from that concert were uploaded to Facebook using our iPhones, and from my digital camera using a Mac. And when I was testing the iPad 2, guess what I used as examples to show off how the new version of iMovie can edit videos from digital cameras? Sample concert footage. And it looked pretty great, too.

Jon, you lead the world’s top-earning touring band, which made $146.5 million on its last tour alone. If the music business is being killed, you’re still doing exceptionally well, so it’s hard to understand why you’d be complaining about anything right now. But let me take a guess or two.

In the interview, you seem to be upset that kids no longer buy an entire album based on the cover, and suggest that people would be better off not knowing what it sounds like before they make a purchase. I’m sorry, but that’s just crazy. Yes, Apple lets people buy singles rather than entire albums. It also lets people preview tracks before buying albums, and recently extended those previews to 90 seconds per song. This way, potential customers can be sure they’re getting what they want before hitting the buy button—a good idea because those of us who aren’t making tens of millions of dollars a year don’t want to buy bad songs, or worse yet, entire albums full of junk. Singles and previewing let us pick out the tracks we like, rather than having to pay for filler. And there’s a lot of filler in the music business these days.

During the concert in Toronto, and presumably many others you’ve performed over the years, the audience clearly wanted to hear your hits. Crowd noise dimmed significantly every time you said you were going to play “new stuff,” but the energy level went through the roof whenever a classic track started to play. As an aging rock star—granted, one who puts on a hell of a show—you must hate that each stadium full of people just wants to hear the songs you put out 20 years ago. You surely want to point fingers at the system that distributes your music, the way people consume music these days, other performers, and anything other than the music itself for not catching on. At one point in the concert, you knocked Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and seemingly Madonna and Justin Timberlake for not being real musicians. As talented as you may be, it’s obvious that you’re angry about popular music for some reason.

You shouldn’t be. If you don’t realize it already, iTunes, the iPod, iPhone, iPad, and Mac have given you a platform that would have been inconceivable when you were a kid. You constantly live in your fans’ pockets, on their computers, and inside their cameras. That attachment leads them, and in some cases their spouses, to keep listening to you, watching you, and paying you for more. The more good music you make, the more Apple has empowered you to make money on it in some way, and to spread the word to others. Like me. Like the friends we reached on Facebook. And so on.

Steve Jobs isn’t the problem here. The music industry is the problem—too many bad songs are the problem. It’s the reason the audience doesn’t roar when you talk about playing a new track or two that were added for a re-release of your greatest hits. If your greatest hits were from the last three years, imagine how much money you’d be making on album sales even beyond your touring.

Speaking just for myself, the next Bon Jovi concert I’ll consider attending now will be one with a completely different set list of tracks that I like as much as the ones you released 20 years ago. All you have to do is start recording them, and I promise that my wife or I will purchase them. So will the rest of your fans. Until that happens, and other musicians start churning out great music by the album rather than the song, the industry’s going to be in trouble. And if it keeps blaming the system rather than itself, it will deserve its fate.

Several sources have reminded us that Jon sits on a White House panel with Jobs’ wife, Laurene Powell Jobs. Both are members of the White House council for Community Solutions. Hope they don't sit next to each other.

I think blaming Steve Jobs is ludicrous. He should totally blame Dan Quayle. He did invent the internet, after all. Or maybe we should blame the Buggles.



~ Hath

11 comments:

Catte Sambora March 15, 2011 at 9:00 AM  

*rolls eyes* Oh Good Lord. I can't believe all the angst over one man's OPINION, which was most likely delivered with a little chuckle and a wink.

International celebrity/Rock God or not, Jon's entitled to his opinion and to feel how he feels. He hardly "attacked" Steve Jobs. He was merely making a point about how the music business has become way more "business" than "music" thanks to the technology explosion of recent years. And about how he misses the old days of the actual brick-and-mortar record store. As much as I love my iPod, I can relate.

It's obviously a generational thing; I'm sure the only reason a lot of the people jumping on the Bash Bandwagon and rushing to defend Steve Jobs' "honor" from the Snarky Old Bajillionaire Rock Star is because they have no clue what that experience was like. Hell, the only reason they probably even know what a vinyl album looks like is because they're now coming back as "old school" novelties.

Love how the media sensationalizes the tiniest sound byte/comment just to whip people into a frenzy.

And I have no doubt that Jon and Mrs. Jobs get along just fine on the WHCS committee. I bet even she's not immune to his charms, LOL.

Oh and let's be clear... it was AL GORE who "invented the Internet", remember? Maybe Jonny should give him a call. ;)

And I'd TOTALLY pay to hear/see Richie play the banjo with his butt.

The Goddess Hathor March 15, 2011 at 9:16 AM  

@Catte, I like blaming Dan Quayle for things. It makes my day sunnier.

Anonymous,  March 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM  

Catte, you forget how Bon Jovi works in the mind of an average 'music connoisseur male':

This was a *perfect* opportunity to get on a high horse and bring out a thousand mentions of 'wife' and 'girlfriend' out just in case anyone questions why they themselves even know who Jon Bon Jovi is.
It is also a perfect opportunity to bash him yet again, cause we all know that's never enough.
We also all know that iTunes has helped them secretly download Livin on a Prayer while conveniently ignoring anything else the band put out.
And finally, it's a good time to make a joke about Jon Bon Jovi, the HAIR guy, worrying about people not seeing his HAIR, instead of perhaps worrying that people don't get a lyrics booklet with iTunes or something, because who listens to Bon Jovi's lyrics anyway? Not them, for sure.


---
I don't see where any mention of iTunes means you hate cell phones but whatever. I don't agree with Jon about who's killing music but then again I don't use iTunes much either. I think in the present day it's not feasible for a music-fanatic to spend gazillions of dollars on all the CDs from all the musical genres they'd like to buy. Let's just leave it at that..

Anonymous,  March 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

ROFLMAO@ Richie playing th abnjo with his buttocks! I'd love to see that, maybe something Jon could consider next time round!

As for Jon's comments, I think he has a point, I can spend hours in record shops, but I also like to try before I buy so I'm kinda split on what I think. It also worries me that books will go the same way now we have ereaders. There is nothing like the smell of a book, new or old, and I fear they may disappear in my lifetime.

Vicki.

Anonymous,  March 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM  

there's a lot worse than those blogs, jon bon jovi just handed them a strange but convenient quote to run with. it doesnt take much for anyone to start bashing bon jovi's music, they will never, ever get any respect and i think jon knows that and has given up trying and settled into being a crotchety old man; probably the years of touring and singing the same stuff over and over are making him feel 20 years older than he even is. if he cared he would have probably shot himself by now. but why make that comment and why now? weird. maybe he wants some charlie sheen type attention. as for me, all this did was remind me how fucking annoying it is to be a bon jovi fan and have to deal with stupid comments all the time.

Anonymous,  March 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM  

"Balls and Banjo" show? ROTFL - best laugh, I've had all day. Needed it too. Ok - if they make it a - Balls and GUITAR show - I'm IN - no matter how much the tickets cost. Back to Jon's comments, I have to say that I both agree and disagree with what he said. I love/adore my iPod, but I also enjoy visiting those, *old fashioned record stores*, whenever I have the opportunity. I would like to believe that what Jon said, in regards to Steve Jobs, was said in a, tongue-in-cheek, sort of way, and it has gotten blown all out of proportion. Then again, Bon Jovi, did come out with those, "Special Edition" CDs, with those replicated laminates in them, that also came with exclusive access to the JBJ vault, and one could only purchase those in the, *old fashioned record stores*, and/or the *newly fashioned record stores*. Wonder if that is a coincidence? So many fans wanted those laminates, remember? And, fans could not get those, via iTunes. At the end of the day, though, I do think that Jon was mainly referring to the experience of going into a music store as a teenager and trying to decide what to purchase/enjoying the experience of browsing and the experience that being in an, old fashioned music store, brings to *all of our senses*. He, obviously, has very good memories of those times, but I can remember feeling quite ripped off, more than once, by purchasing an album with an awesome cover, that had mostly crappy music on it, (not JBJ of course). So, we're back to square one, I both agree and disagree with what Jon said. Their song, "Last Man Standing", comes to mind, though. Those (magical) digital downloads have brought Jon, the band, and the fans a tremendous amount of pleasure and I don't know who could argue that particular point. Hath, thanks for giving *us* a voice.

Anonymous,  March 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM  

There was an article recently that said there are only a few songs that have reached the coveted 2 million downloads mark. Stuff like Sweet Child O Mine, Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven and Livin on a Prayer were among them.
That alone makes this iPod loving freak almost want to agree with Jon..

Anonymous,  March 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM  

I happen to agree with Catte. It was likely an off the cuff comment meant to be a joke.

As someone who works for government, I can tell you, the press will only print or talk about what they want & they will twist it anyway they can to make someone out to be the bad guy. Yes, he may have said it but how it was said & how it's reflected in the article are likely two different things.

I for one, do prefer to buy a CD. Never spent a dime in I-Tunes. I like that I have boxes of albums, tapes and cd's. I think the times Jon talks about, are times gone by. The music business will never be what it was in the era we grew up in. Do I feel my daughter has missed out? Sure but I understand that's technology and 'changing with the times'. There are lots of things from my youth that I wish were still around but they're not. I guess that's why we call them "The Good Old Days". I wouldn't change them one bit. To each their own & how they get the music they want. That's the freedom of choice.

If times are changing then can we please stop talking about Jon's hair (rolls eyes) PLEASE!!

Thanks Hath for always keeping us in the loop no matter how insane it is.

Jordana March 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM  

I'm sick of hearing about what he said. Where is the original Sunday Times article? I can't even get into the Sunday Times, so I'm assuming that only those who've registered have the full story.

Anonymous,  March 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM  

I bought the bloody article on Sunday Times for 1 pound (in a nice sense of irony, that's more than I have spent on iTunes) and it's bizarre. It has no intro or conclusion, just a narrative that isn't even wrapped in quotes, like they asked JBJ or his publicist to write a school report about his day who then cheated by cutting and pasting parts of his previous interview into it. So it goes like: I get up at 7 am and take the kinds to school. New York is a great city.


:|

He doesn't say any more about Jobs than what was written, though heres the whole paragraph:

My kids listen to all kinds of stuff. Stephanie loves music, but she clicks a button and doesn’t even remember she’s downloaded a song because she gets distracted by some website. And she doesn’t even listen to a whole album, it’s just a song. Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it. God, it was a magical, magical time. I hate to sound like an old man now, but I am, and you mark my words, in a generation from now people are going to say: “What happened?” Steve Jobs is personally responsible for killing the music business.

Why he wasn't asked to say any more or was he and it wasn't written, I have no clue. Just bizarre, the whole thing.

Big Apple Jen March 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM  

Ok...I am just getting caught up on this and must admit that reading all of the comments here was MUCH more interesting than anything else written on this topic.

I, personally, am a liner notes JUNKIE ... I NEED to know where it was recorded, which musos played, songwriting credits, the whole shebang. Reading the 'thank yous' is always a highlight as well.

I do agree that it is unfortunate that people no longer buy a whole album ... because it is always that 'b-side' track you discover that can change your thinking about an artist - or change your life, even. It also has completely changed how an artist develops ... from the timeline to artistically to financially.

p.s. and I'm with Hath on the 'anytime we can blame Dan Quayle is a good thing' concept. ROFL


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP