Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Hath's Chipmunk Adventure

Yeah, you're seeing right.

Chipmunk.

Isn't he adorable?  Yes, yes he is.

He is also an OUTSIDE TOY.

As in, he does not need to be waiting at the TOP OF MY STAIRCASE in the garage so when I open the door from the house, he's staring at me like, "Now what?" and scaring the ever-loving shit out of me.

As in, he does not need to then bound down the stairs, ignore the WIDE OPEN, eleven-foot-tall, garage door and disappear into the back of the garage, making me follow him.

As in, he does not need to look me in the eye, twitch his little tail (and I swear, he winked at me) and disappear under the furnace.

This was SO not the thing I wanted to do today.

So, what do I do?  Wake up Mr. Hath?  NO! It's a chipmunk, dammit, I should be able to outsmart a chipmunk on my own, right?

First thing I tried was opening the back door, near the furnace.  I figure, he sees outside, he's gonna take off, right?  Avoid the big, scary human?  Nope.

Great.

Now I've grabbed a flashlight, put down a tarp so I don't have to go back upstairs and change clothes, and am kneeling on the floor to peer under the furnace.  I see his little black eyes staring at me, all but DARING me to come after him.

I figure I'll scare him out of there.  I go fire up the furnace, assuming the loud CLICK-CLUNK-WHIRRRR will get him moving.  Nope; he just flattens out on the bricks that are underneath said furnace, and awaits my next move.

Shit.

Maybe if I prod him with a dowel or something, he'll come out.  I mean, you poke at me with a stick and, assuming I don't take it from you and beat you about the head and neck with it, I'm gonna move out of the way.  I should be able to find a stick without pulling one off a tree -- it's a garage for cripe's sake -- there's scrap wood everywhere.  What's the only dowel-like thing I can find?  A 6 foot closet bar.  It was really quite comical, me trying to get this thing to slide under the furnace without having to kneel on the dusty floor and get all dirty.  But I do, and the little rat squishes into a corner to avoid it.

Bastard.

Then I have the brilliant idea to take a bicycle pump, slide the nozzle near the creature, and scare it out with a puff of air.  I found the pump, inched closer to the 'munk's hiding place, slid the hose underneath, and let 'er rip.  After dashing back to my car to rinse out my contact lenses, I see that the chipmunk has come out from under the furnace on his own.  He's now sitting behind it, on the little concrete lip that runs the length of the garage.  I slide a piece of cardboard down between him and the furnace, so he can't get back underneath, and shoo him toward the door with my big freaking stick.

By now, the sun is starting to rise, the birds are waking up, and the chipmunk must be hungry.  I mean he had to have been in the garage all night.  He should be DYING to get outside and find one of the zillions of acorns out there, right?

Wrong again.  He cowers in a corner of the garage, looking petrified. Now I feel badly for the little thing.  I want to scoop him up and carry him outside, but I don't want him to bite me.  I patiently goose his little furry ass with the end of the closet bar until his nose is near the open door.  He gets a good whiff of outside, turns to look at me again, then unhurriedly meanders out the door.

And how did you spend the pre-dawn hour?

~ Hath

PS: I did remember to move the piece of cardboard, so as not to burn down my garage should the heat turn on.  I told Mr. Hath about my adventure this morning, and he said I should have woken him; that was a $100,000 AFV winner episode.

8 comments:

alicefayenjbj April 13, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

you and your cross bar need to come help me get mickey mouse out of my house. Scared the crap out of me at 4am a week ago. Was at my store at 7am and got DeCon to get rid of his little furry flea ridden body. Haven't seen mickey or heard him in days now just need to deal with the body...unless he got out he way he got in...then I need to find the mouse hole.

Catte Sambora April 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

He's obviously a friend of Moose and Squirrel, and came by to check out the Goddess.... :P

Bayaderra April 13, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

Hey Hath,
I can loan you my cat! He catches 4-5 "outside toys" each summer! Just last week he got one of them in our garrage!

Anonymous,  April 13, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Cate-was that a Freudian Slip or did you mean to write Moose? Lol!

I can't be doing with rodents, I scream like a girl. Spiders, however, do not scare me (although we don't have poisonous ones in the UK, I may feel differently if I lived somewhere else!)

Vicki

Bayaderra April 13, 2010 at 3:02 PM  

Hey Fred,
When you visit in May...keep in mind we have brown recluse in NJ! So...STAY AWAY from spiders!

Shelly April 13, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

Wow!! You should have been at my house last week when i kid you not..a squirrel bit thru the drywall of my bedroom wall and had the nerve to peek its head thru the hole after i got done w/work. Lmao! Thankfully holes and squirrels (are back outside where they belong! ) LOL...

Anonymous,  April 14, 2010 at 8:54 AM  

I live in Florida, so as much as I dislike spiders, they happen. A Squirrel got in a few years ago, too. The one thing I couldn't handle: A snake. It wasn't poisonous, but I can't stand them. I screamed so loud I probably scared it more than it scared me, but even so I refused to go into the kitchen (where I found it) for two days straight. Ironically, it probably found its way in because we also had a resident mouse in the kitchen at that time, too.

Becky April 14, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

OMG LOL oh Hath...thank you for the laugh. I can just picture everything -- been there, done that with mice, squirrels, you name it. Living on a private hill on an acre of land...you encounter all sorts of critters.

Glad you survived this one! :)


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP