Thursday, February 10, 2011

Richie/Tico Interview

This one has been making the rounds; here are some excerpts from a version published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Richie and Tico on the Hall of Fame pass:

"You know what?" he says during a recent teleconference. "Personally, I think it's a boys' club over there. I don't know what they're doing. And, you know, they're looking for ratings or, what are they doing? I have no idea ... It has nothing to do with our legitimacy because our legitimacy comes with the people and the fans. And, you know, you sell 125 million records and have the two biggest tours in the last three years, I'll take that. If I would complain, nobody would listen."

Kick the Hall of Fame question to the man behind the drum kit, Tico Torres, and you get a more measured response.

"You got to look at the bands that still haven't made it that are amazing and, really, it's hard to pick three or four bands or even five bands. The bands that were nominated this year and the ones that made it ... well deserved. And it's just, well, it's nice to be nominated. We have a long life ahead of us. And I think there's a lot of bands that we're included with that one day should be in the Hall of Fame and will be. There's only so much you can put in every year. So we just do what we do, play in front of people and have fun until then."
Tico on their success:
"From the first show we did in a big place, at Madison Square Garden with ZZ Top -- supporting them -- I mean, when you're a band you think you made it right there. When you hear your song on the radio for the first time you think you've made it. It's a journey and if you're in the present and you travel that journey and you enjoy it, you work harder for the next enlightening moment. I don't think any of us would ever, in our wildest dreams, be smart enough to think that we would be this far in our careers and been so successful as a group."
Richie on the interplay between the guys:
"We've been through so much together. We're a family. It's a different thing. You know, I don't think other bands are like that. I don't know if everybody cares about each other as much."

The flip side of that is, over all that time, a band easily can become static or bored. One of the remedies, according to the two musicians, is playing up to about 70 different songs on a tour and doing them a little bit differently every night.

"I can tell you one thing," the guitarist says. "Tico's got his drum right up my butt and he plays some different fills and he does some different things, and I smile and then I'll play something different. And it's an exchange of energy, not only between the band and the audience, but between the band."

"We play off each other," the drummer adds, "and that's what we have, that's what a band is ... It's something that you look forward to because, you know, you spend a lot of time in the hotel room away from home, and you're looking forward to those three hours on stage where you can actually just do your craft and enjoy yourself."

You can read the full article here.

~ Hath

Bon Jovi are at the Consol Energy Center this Friday and Saturday.
Tickets: $18.50-$132.75. 1-800-745-3000.

3 comments:

Johanne February 10, 2011 at 8:49 PM  

very wise that Tico! just love him.

Anonymous,  February 11, 2011 at 12:12 AM  

I'm pretty sure Tico's less invested in it though. I can understand Richie's frustration. I read an interview with Jon about 10 years ago where he said he doesn't think they have a hell's chance of getting into the Hall of Fame. Now 10 years later, Jon seems more hopeful. I myself think they'll get in eventually, but in about 10 years time if they are still active and at least somewhat on the radar. If not, then they'll probably repeatedly get passed up even for a nom. I was a bit confused to see the likes of Madonna get in so easily. I know that Nirvana and most of grunge will get in easily. Some of that is annoying. It's not so much that BJ are a super incredibly talented band as it pisses me off that a lot of bands that are really overrated are no better than them.

Anonymous,  February 11, 2011 at 11:43 PM  

I think the most amazing part of this post is the ticket prices. I WISH any of the concerts I went to had tickets prices that low.....


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP