Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Greatest Hits ~ Discussion

OK, so we've had a chance to look over the track listing and wonder where the hell our favorites are, and you'll have your chance to vent -- just post a comment. Let's take a look at a few different "slices" of the track listing.

First, the overall breakout by record.


7800 Fahrenheit (Jon's least favorite record) had four singles, none of which are represented in the Greatest Hits:
In & Out of Love
Only Lonely
Silent Night
Hardest Part Is the Night

Bounce also had singles (three) that are missing from the collection:
All About Loving You
Everyday
Misunderstood

Half of the re-packaged tracks (that's 12 of them) were on CrossRoad.  But, this is supposed to be a career-spanning collection, so duplication of the standards was completely expected.  What wasn't expected was some "fan favorites" that did not make the cut.

Dry County didn't chart in the US, but is what I consider one of the best songs they've put out.  The grueling solos, the heartfelt lyrics, the out-of-this-world vocals -- it's a shame this was left off the list.

These Days is represented by the title track and This Ain't A Love Song, but again, it's billed as hits and favorites --where is Damned?  Diamond Ring? Again, not singles or charters, but favorites.

The Greatest Hits is a compilation of the singles released over the course of the band's career (Blood on Blood is the only non-new-song that was not a single) yet two records are missing.  There are many fan favorites (singles and not) that I think are missing, but that's just me.

So what do YOU think?

Should Blaze be on a BAND Greatest Hits?

Did we really need to have Who Says again, Grammy or not?  Is it really a fan favorite?

~ Hath

7 comments:

Joelle,  September 14, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

People are going to get real sick of me saying the same thing, but to me, Living In Sin is an obvious one not on the list.

In the US, Jovi had 11 Top 10 singles--10 of which are on these cds. Living In Sin is the only one that isn't. It was also the 5th and final single off the New Jersey album to chart in the Top 10, making it the only hard rock album to date that has had five top 10 singles.

I'd really LOVE to know the logic of why it's MIA.

Unknown September 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

O.k. - "Blaze" had become a "Band"-song over the years - this is o.k. for me - but - this is a compilation for the masses and not for the "die hard fans" who would change 80 % of this track list. Blood money is missing, Dry county, Damned, Only lonely was a killer when they played it live on this tour, there are so many... sigh - but, nevertheless - I will buy it - and hope for a fan inspired special edition ...

foxli September 14, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

Greatest Hits albums are def. not Fan Favourites albums - talking about lunatics like us ;-)
Target is the casual fan - even more they wasted the opportunity to present some of their gems like DC, Damned or older stuff to a wider audience.

As BOG is already on Crossroads they could have left it out this time - and it's still a Jon solo song IMO

I'm gonna buy the double disc though - mostly because of the new songs and just to complete the collection.

Wildflower September 14, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

I agree with Joelle, Living in Sin is a brilliant song, and I would have loved to see it on the GH album. And diamond ring is also one of my favorites. But, I also agree with the fact that half the songs are on Crossroads. Something different would have been better. And Who Says...its too overdone. I love Sugarland, but that song is just too much, and goes on and on. I mean, enough is enough! :)
I do suppose though, that they have to put on the normal songs because of being more accessible for fans who are not as into the songs that are not as well known. I'm still going to buy it, it's Bon Jovi after all, but I do wish they would have included some of the other, rarer songs. Enough of my ranting! :D

Anonymous,  September 14, 2010 at 2:45 PM  

I'm sure I've said it before, and I'm sure you're all fed up with me saying it but...Blaze is a Jon SOLO song and has no place on a band greatest hits. If he's allowed a solo then where is Richie's, and David's version of ITA, or Memphis?

As expected, its Crossroads with added extras, and from a commercial point of view I can understand it, although Jon can't be THAT dumb not to know how we all feel about Who Says!

I really don't want to buy the album but being OCD about collections, I feel that I may very well have to go get it even though I have all but the 4 new songs already, and most in more than one version. Damn this band!

Just a thought for Jon tho, maybe release something for the diehards...it'd sell out in seconds.

alicefayenjbj September 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

ok call me crazy but i cant find a listing of the songs. Yeah I know you all know the set list, but in the past three weeks i have been the acting deli manager and they are trying to kill me!!! I am not a member of backstage anymore, so can someone send out a link to where us returning from the dead can find it? Amazon has reduced the price down under 15.00 so any idea would be helpfull.

foxli September 16, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

You'll find the tracklist on bonjovi.com


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP