Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Holdiays Are Coming...

... whether we want them to or not.

My XM Satellite Radio has its Christmas channel up and running. Don't get me wrong; I love the holidays as much as the next girl. We decorate the house to the nines, complete with holiday carousel and flashing train out front, next to inflatable Santa, snowmen, and twinkle lights. The house is done up with lit boughs of pine roping twined around the loft railing, an 8' tall tree with more decorations on it than a display at Macy's, and Christmas Village scenes set on every available flat surface. We do the whole Christmas dishes thing, and the house is always scented with pine or bayberry candles.

I love Christmas.

But it's November.

I haven't even gotten my turkey yet -- we pick it up from the turkey farm on Tuesday. We have the apple pie and cobbler done and frozen. The rolls are prepped and frozen, ready to be baked. We have the ingredients for our homemade bread stuffing sitting in the fridge ready to be diced, minced and chopped. The turkey-covered tablecloth and autumn-leaf candles are out on the table.

This weekend we're laying in beer and brushing the felt on the pool table. We're making sure our bar is stocked and the cable out in the game room is working. We're getting ready for THANKSGIVNG. That holiday that gets the short end of the stick.

After all the hullaballoo of Halloween, and the shove-down-your-throat of Christmas the day after, it's no wonder people tend to forget that Thanksgiving is more than just a big meal to keep you in turkey leftovers until Christmas.

Thanksgiving is the one day set aside for something we should do each and every day: Give thanks to whatever Gods or Goddesses or Fates you believe in for what you have.

I for one will be giving thanks for my husband, who is a trial sometimes, but reminds me that life isn't supposed to be easy, and things worth having are worth working on.

For my son, who is the light of my life, and whose "Hi Mama!" and running feet moments before he launches himself into my arms is the best salve for whatever crap rained down on me that day.

For my father, who is battling prostate cancer and winning.

For my mom, who continues to be my best friend, my sounding board for what I think are my life's problems.

For my family and friends, both in my real day-to-day life and in my cyber-life, for enriching my life, touching my heart, and warming my soul.

I will openly and warmly embrace Christmas, the festive spirit, the joyful music, the decorations and trappings.

Next weekend.

For now, I will count my blessings.

Lord knows, it'll take me until next Thursday to list them all :)

~ Hath

3 comments:

Queenie November 20, 2008 at 8:50 AM  

You know Hath, you are so right with your comments here. We totally lose sight of Thanksgiving what with all the hype of Christmas being shoved at us from every angle since before Halloween.

My son when he was about 4 or 5 (he's nearly 12 now) we were in the grocery store and they had all their decorations for Christmas out right around Halloween time asked me "what about Thanksgiving mom?"

We had a long discussion and I still remember that day like it was yesterday. Out of the mouths of babes.

We decorate up for the holidays too, after Thanksgiving. At our dinner table on Thursday, we each get to tell the others what we're thankful for this year. It's my favorite part of the day.

Unknown November 20, 2008 at 9:43 AM  

I agree with you 100% about Thanksgiving and Xmas. I work in retail and it seems that every year the Xmas decorations are being put out earlier.

I am extremely thankful to have my Mom with us, she is battling stage 4 lung cancer and Alzheimer's and holding her own. I don't know what next year will bring but this year, I'll be counting my many blessings (my daughter being on the top of the list) on the 27th and everyday for that matter.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Sunstreaked November 20, 2008 at 12:50 PM  

Gorgeous post Hath, a real kick start on remember what is important through all the tough times.

Thanks for giving me the nudge to write my own private "thanks for..." list.


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP