Thursday, November 12, 2009

Great Interview

Thanks, M, for pointing me at this:

To say that rock band Bon Jovi is on a high right now is an understatement. After all, 26 years is a long time to be in any job, let alone one as volatile as being rock stars. And Bon Jovi are celebrating their silver jubilee in a big way.

On Monday, they performed their latest single "We Weren't Born To Follow" in Berlin, commemorating the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Then, there's the book and documentary special "Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful". The book traces the history of the band, while the documentary captures the excitement of last year's "Lost Highway" tour.

And let's not forget the new album released [this week]: Critics are raving that "The Circle" is one of the band's best works since the days of anthemic rock in the late '80s.

The hair may be smaller but the tunes are still as big. We caught up with the band in Tokyo while they were there promoting their new album to talk about their journey.

Special thanks to Universal Music and Hiromi Inomata

The word "circle" denotes "completion." Are you guys done?

Jon: A friend of ours gave it to us, and her name is even on the credit. She suggested the title and I said, "Don't say anymore. I know exactly what this means." This could mean something different to everybody but to me it means it's never ending.

It's sort of what we feel about our band. In very New Jersey terms, it's very hard to get in, and even harder to get out.

Tico: Infinity is a wonderful way to look at music because there is no end.

So this is not the end for you?

Jon: No! That's looking at the dark side, that we've come full circle. It's not a return to our beginning - for me it was continuation, to just keep going.

Do you feel pressure to top your hits every time you release a new song?

David: All you can do is the best you can do. We've always been that way. Do the best you can do, put it out there, and that's all you can do.

Richie: As a band, we happen to be in a unique position. If we made a record and didn't like it, we just start over. It's not like a new band who makes a record with the little amount of money and time they've got, and they've got to put it out no matter what.

Even the experiment that we did with the Nashville record ("Lost Highway"), we said: 'Let's see what happens. If we don't like it, we just don't put it out.' But we all loved it, so we put it out, and the world loved it, too, thank God! Anytime a door opens for you to evolve, and you think you can do it, you've got to step through that door.

What's a normal day in the life of a rock star like?

Richie: Let's see, I wake up in the morning at six o'clock, wake my daughter up, make some breakfast, get her ready for school, drive her to school, come home, take a little nap because I was up late the night before, get ready, go to the studio, work for a few hours, come back, have dinner with my daughter, do some homework, and start again the next day.

That's what home looks like usually. It's like a strange dichotomy because at home you're just a dad, but on the road you're a rock star. I think that part of our success is that we've been able to actually balance that and be able to flow between both those dichotomies of identities seamlessly after all these years.

David: Actually the biggest difference is that you get more sleep when you are touring! Because you don't have to wake up at six o'clock to bring your kids to school! I've got three kids, I drive one to school, come back wake up the other one, drive that kid to school, come back and … after three hours, it's nine o'clock in the morning!

Richie: I think all four of us, when we are home, we are family guys. We pay attention to our families. Take out the garbage just like everyone else, and do everything else that everybody else does.

David: I make my kid take out the garbage!

Richie: It's hard to make my daughter take out the garbage.

David: Yeah, that's the good part about a son. But the daughter can do the dishwashing and laundry!

Richie: Yeah, she's got other chores.

When are you guys coming to Singapore?

Richie: It's on the list. I would say the first quarter of 2011. It's not even 2010 yet so it's impossible to think that far ahead, but that's what - from the scheduling conversations that we are having - it looks like.

Do you foresee a time when the music's over?

Richie: It doesn't look like we are stopping, does it?

David: 70 more years, and that's it! 70 more years, and I'll be done. I think it's always been the undying faith that kept us going. If you think you can make it happen, it can happen.


source

I laughed at David's and Richie's comments. I would LOVE to sit down with them and shoot the breeze. Wonder if any of their kids used to run around the house with underpants on their heads and a towel for a cape....

And as an aside, I'm on board for 70 more years...

~ Hath

1 comments:

JBJBounce November 12, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

You're not alone. I'd take 70 more years of the guys. Even longer if they'd pay my bills so I can attend more shows. LOL


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP