Thursday, April 28, 2011

MEMPHIS on the Big Screen

Thanks, Jan, for the drop on this article from LiveBWAY.

If you missed seeing "Memphis" at La Jolla Playhouse in 2008 before it headed east to become the toast of Broadway, you're in luck.

A filmed version of the rock 'n' roll musical ---- featuring the original La Jolla/Broadway cast ---- will hit local movie screens this week for a limited, four-show engagement.

On a recent break at his New Jersey home from Bon Jovi's world tour (ranked last week by pollstar.com as the No. 1-grossing tour in America), the Juilliard-trained Bryan talked about the big-screen version of "Memphis," along with his work in musicals and the famous band he co-founded more than 20 years (and 130 million albums) ago with some fellow Jersey musicians.

Question: How did this big-screen version of "Memphis" come about?
This company came to us that had done recordings of Broadway shows. In the past, they'd captured the shows just before they closed and then released them on screens afterward. This was the first time they were doing it for a show that was still running. Some people think it's a mistake, that it will hurt the Broadway production ---- that people won't want to go see it in New York if they've already seen it onscreen, but we don't believe that theory. The live experience is something that can't be duplicated. This just gets the word out. We're not based on any kind of brand, so we have to create our own brand. Also, this is only for four nights in 530 theaters across America, so it's not oversaturating the market. Plus we get a DVD out of it, so it will be memorialized for all of us.

Q: Have you seen the finished product and are you happy with it?
Yes, it's great. I was very involved. The thing about my work in "Memphis" is that I don't visit my shows, I live my shows. Every inch of it, every decision that's made, every single step of the way I've been the master of my own destiny. I'm really proud of the fact that I started this project and followed it every step of the way to Broadway. I carved every inch.

Q: Do you have a preference between doing musicals and Bon Jovi?

They both bring me a lot of great things. Broadway brings me the creative process and I don't have to work eight times a week, so it's good that way. But the band gives me the satisfaction of live performance. I get to get out there every night and play in front of anywhere from 20,000 to 90,000 people, and you can't match that. I am so fortunate to keep walking onstage and experiencing that. It makes me the everlasting kid.

You can read the rest of the Q&A here.

For information on where/how to get tickets for this movie event, visit FathomEvents.

~ Hath

1 comments:

Genie P April 28, 2011 at 10:31 AM  

Tonight, tonight...oh wait, wrong musical...but it IS starting tonight...and I've got my ticket!!!!!!!!!

I'm excited even though it means I had to arrange my work schedule and be up at 7 a.m.!


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP