Friday, July 02, 2010

Special Edition Box Set

Back when the special editions were announced, a bunch of us thought it would be a great idea if the band offered them as a set.  They're finally doing it.

But, they're taking a page out of the Mythbusters' handbook.

If it's work doing, it's worth overdoing.

Just the facts:

You can go here to purchase your "Bon Jovi Special Editions Collector’s Box Set - Limited Edition Japanese Import" for one easy payment of $299.00 USD.

Included in the set:


  1. Access All Areas: A Rock & Roll Odyssey 90-minute documentary DVD (multi-region NTSC)
  2. Bon Jovi: 2010 Special Edition
  3. 7800°: 2010 Special Edition
  4. Slippery When Wet: 2010 Special Edition
  5. New Jersey: 2010 Special Edition
  6. Keep The Faith: 2010 Special Edition
  7. These Days: 2010 Special Edition
  8. Crush: 2010 Special Edition
  9. Bounce: 2010 Special Edition
  10. Have A Nice Day: 2010 Special Edition
  11. Lost Highway: 2010 Special Edition
  12. The Circle: 2010 Special Edition


This fantastic Global Exclusive Bon Jovi Special Editions Collector’s Box Set features Japanese Paper Sleeve versions of all eleven 2010 Special Editions plus an exclusive documentary DVD, Access All Areas: A Rock & Roll Odyssey, all packaged in a superb road case style box.

Each Special Edition includes a re-mastered version of the original album plus bonus live tracks. Each Special Edition also comes with a laminate “Backstage Tour Pass” reproduction and every CD unlocks the "virtual tour experience" consisting of exclusive bonus content, extra tracks, and access to exclusive Bon Jovi tour memorabilia.
Now the fun:

The emails we all received said you get a "keychain" with each Special Edition CD. So, do we get one keychain or 11? I'm confused.


Just after this came out, I got inundated (well maybe not inundated...more like 5) emails from people asking "WTF?  Don't they have enough of our money?  This is crazy!"

Well, for those of us who didn't run out and buy the SpecEds when they first came out (ran out of money after purchasing concert tickets, but am assured that they are on my birthday list), this is great.  Gives us a chance to get them all in one fell swoop, and to have a quirky collector set thingy to boot.

You know I can't leave it there, though right?

Using the ever trusty amazon.com and ebay, I did a little researching and a little figuring.

Here's what I came up with.

On Amazon, you can purchase all 11 of the Special Edition CD's, which come with all the new packaging, inserts, fake creds, the whole works.  Note all prices are in USD, and I have no earthly idea why 7800 would be the most expensive CD.  Work with me here, though.



7800 $14.49
Bon Jovi   $11.68
Bounce   $11.51
Crush   $11.68
HAND   $11.68
Keep The Faith $11.68
Lost Highway $11.68
New Jersey $11.68
Slippery   $11.69
The Circle   $17.49
These Days $11.48


Total for the CDs:  $ 136.74

Now, let's look at the extras.

An "Access All Areas" VHS on Amazon (albeit used, and VHS, and from fans looking to make a quick buck) is going for $50.  A fresh-press DVD can't be more than $20, right?  I mean really.

Access All Areas: $20.00


The "road case style box" will never last in my house.  So I did a little digging.  On eBay, I can get a small steamer trunk (a doll trunk, but still).  The opening bid on this lovely was $10, but counting for people really wanting the trunk, I figure you can get it for about $25.  Maybe less, but we'll call it $25.  Then you need to hit Fathead.com to get your Jovi decal for $35 and boom.  Done.

CD Box ~ Durable: $60.00

What's left?  Let's see.  Oh yes.  The key chain.  Or key chains.

Being generous, and not using show-swag-stand prices, I'm putting the key chain at $10

Key Chain: $10.00

Grand total?  A whopping $226.74.

Note I didn't figure in any shipping costs; I assume those would be comparable and therefore negligible.

You could save nearly $73 dollars by doing it yourself!

Or, depending on your point of view,

It's really not that bad if you haven't bought them already!

Oh wait.

Unless you really do get a key chain for every single CD like the email said.

Then Key Chain:  $110.00

Which makes the Grand Total now $326.74

Which means the band is SAVING you more than $25 by offering this package deal.

Thanks guys!

~ Hath

4 comments:

Lee-Ann July 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

LOL. Great analysis again. I'd love to own this but not at that price.

Anonymous,  July 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

I'd love to own this, but the O2 killed my savings and well, I figure I only need one copy of each album anyway. I like the CD Box thingy though, I might need to make one to put all my jovi stuff in. Thanks for the analysis Hath.

Rike July 2, 2010 at 5:14 PM  

those set are a Japan import. and CDs/DVDs in Japan more expensive than in US or Europe. You could order this edition from Japan for months and it was more than $300.

The Goddess Hathor July 2, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

Isn't it technically a repackaged Japanese import of a product exported from the US? Doesn't seem quite worth it to spend "extra" for something that was sent overseas to be packed in a flimsy albeit decorative and kinda neat box, and sent BACK to the US.

Yes, if I wanted to, I could order it right now on Amazon.co.jp. I priced it, and right now, today, I could get it for ~302 USD (includes tax and shipping). From Japan. Today. I don't have to wait until August to get it, and I can be damned sure that the boys at Merch are going to charge me more than $2 in shipping, so it would actually be cheaper to order it from Japan.

Plus, I'd get cool postage marks for Hathlet's keepsake box.

If I trust Google Translate, the track listings are the same as the individual CDs you could buy in the US. I'm not getting anything extra for my Japanese import except perhaps a key chain (or eleven, not sure on that), the AAA DVD (which I'm pretty sure I have a bootleg of already) and paper sleeves with Japanese print on them.

Now, for the super die-hard collector, who has to have absolutely everything, well, they probably had it as soon as it came out. For everyone else, well, I feel this "boxed set" just isn't worth it.

That being said, I'd never begrudge anyone the pleasure of purchasing any [legal] product they want. I just won't be doing it.

~ H


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP