Saturday, July 11, 2009

Happy Birthday, Richie!

One of the sites I belong to, Samboraly Yours, collected letters and greetings from the fandom to send to Richie. They had a contact who was able to make it happen. This is the letter I sent along.

Greetings from Boston!

Shoot – that makes me sound like an alien. I mean, I suppose if you're not from here, we Bostonians can seem a bit foreign, what with our thick Cliff Claven accents and our missing R's and all. But seeing as how you're from Jersey, and your state has its own little quirks and accents that convince me that perhaps its inhabitants are not entirely human, I guess you'll understand where I was coming from with that opener.

I'm pretty sure this tome you received is hefty, and I imagine you’ve spent a little time flipping idly through the pages, wondering if it’s worth the effort. I'm glad you decided it was, and even happier that you skipped someone else and stopped on my message and are giving it a read. Yes, I readily admit I'm a selfish woman. So sue me. I have your attention, and don’t intend to lose it.

Alright, so here's the thing.

I was trying to think of a way to write you a ‘happy birthday’ letter without sounding all familiar with you, but I simply couldn't do it. You know why. You’ve heard it from millions of fans over the years. You’ve talked about it in interviews. We fans feel we know you through your music; that which you created with the band and without. You pour your soul into your songs, and we recognize that, react and respond to that, and frankly greatly appreciate that. At this stage in your career, you could churn out cookie-cutter rock songs, and you’d still book the arenas. That you take the time to make the music resonate and MEAN something before letting us hear it makes it that much better.

I'm sure you must find all this liberty-taking and familiarity a wee bit horrifying, and I certainly don't blame you for that, but I can’t help it. I promise, should we ever have the good fortune to meet, I’ll be appropriately stunned by your presence (in fact, since you’ve had me mesmerized since sometime during puberty, I can pretty much guarantee THAT – a girl never quite gets over her first crush, you know). But ask anyone, I'm pretty harmless. And this is just a letter after all; it’s not like I'm in the room with you, right?

Did you just look over your shoulder? Sheesh.

But given that I couldn't write something sterile and utterly respectful, unless, say I was to send birthday greetings to the Queen of England, I'm writing this from the heart, from one friend to another, and I hope you don't mind too much.

So. Fifty. The big FIVE-OH (sorry, but I can't help but flash on Jack Lord there....). Where’d the years go? Wasn’t it just last month that you were on MTV with your long hair and that Stetson, talking to Martha about Stranger? And a few months before that you and Jon were doing perhaps my all-time favorite performance of Wanted, acoustic on MTV? No? It was HOW long ago?

Well, regardless of how long ago that was, you have more energy and enthusiasm than half the people I know. I don't know how you do it, how you manage to stay so positive and so positively YOUNG given all that you do and all you’ve been through, but man, keep doing it. You're obviously doing something right, and believe-you-me, there are plenty of us out here in the anonymous hoards who greatly appreciate that.

I truly hope that this year has found you so far doing what you love and loving what you do. From the bottom of my soul, I hope that by the time you get this, the new Jovi record is in the can and you're working on the solo record you taunted us fans with last year. (Not nice, by the way, you big tease).

And I hope you’re thinking about putting together a tour. A solo tour.

That starts in Boston.

Did I mention I'm selfish?

Anyway, I just wanted to add my "Happy Birthday, darlin’" to the chorus. I'm sure you can hear me, I'm the one in the back there, third from the left – that’s stage left, dear -- with the singing voice that makes fingernails on a chalkboard sound good.

Happy Birthday, Richie. I wish you all the best.

Sending Love from Boston,
Hath

P.S.: Next time you're in Boston, if you're feeling a hankerin' for local blues and great BBQ in an out-of-the-way place, look me up. Obie can find me.

P.P.S.: I feel I should mention that I'm happily married with a nearly-9-year old son, so there is no nefarious purpose behind my invitation. Don’t be surprised if I swoon for a minute or six, though – after being properly stunned, of course.


If he ever takes me up on my offer, I'll be sure to let you know.

Happy Birthday, Richie. I truly wish you all the best.

~ Hath

4 comments:

Rike July 11, 2009 at 8:13 AM  

whoow, what a wonderful letter. I really have tears in my eyes. and I'm sure he'll read all the letters and wishes he got with this book.

TaraLeigh July 11, 2009 at 10:35 AM  

ROTF!! Only you, Jen.
LMAO! I swear--only you!

What a great bday letter. I'm glad you went for it and sent it off with the big batch of others.

*mauh*

How could he resist you?

Joviswoman July 11, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

Lmao loving it H!

And I'm sure he'll be askin Ob where to find ya ;)

I totally forgot to do something :o damn RL. Next yr ;)

Judith July 11, 2009 at 12:26 PM  

LMAO! Hath, don´t freak out when Obie calls you :)

Love the letter and I´m sure Richie will enjoy it too ;)


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP