Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Dolphin Story...

I know everyone's seen this all over the 'net, and I'm not going to dwell on it except to say that I'm glad the kids weren't there to see it. We had the unique experience of being on Main Beach in the Hamptons when a young dolphin, not more than two or three years old, beached itself near where we were playing.

Several people jumped into the water to keep it company, keeping it hydrated and giving it some loving contact. The poor creature had a gash along one side, and you could see in its eyes and hear in its cries that the dolphin was in pain.

The Hathlet, 6 at the time, was infatuated with dolphins, and wanted to watch until the marine rescue unit took the creature away. He sat on my shoulders for more than an hour while the MRU rigged up their sling and got enough volunteers to carry it to the van.

When the sling passed us, Hathlet scrambled to be put down and followed them to the van. Later that night, he asked if the animal would be alright. Then he asked if the animal's mom and dad were worried about it. Unfortunately, that particular dolphin's story didn't have a happy ending, either. It had been hit by a boat and the prop damage was severe. I wish I had been stronger and ignored my son's begging to watch the MRU try to rescue that dolphin. I should have tried to shield him from that.


~ Hath

2 comments:

Big Apple Jen April 21, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

There is something about seeing an animal hurt that can just rip at your heart.

As for "Jon's dolphin" ... I, too, hope the kids - well, the little ones, in particular - weren't there. Its spring break in NYC and it was a weekend, so they could have been in Joisey...?

PS Thanks for the public service announcement - I hadn't seen that!

PS2 My word verification for this post is "ureclog" ... I think we should have a contest to come up with definitions for these word verifications .... LOL

Kris April 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

You know, the first thing I thought was "Please let the kids be in NYC". I had the chance to watch and touch dolphins in Sea World Florida. They are such great animals. I would probably start crying when I would see one dead or in pain so close to the beach.


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP