Friday, July 22, 2011

9/11 10th Anniversary Tribute


The Daily (among others) are reporting on a rumor that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is in "secret negotiations with HBO to produce a historic Bon Jovi concert in Central Park the night before the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

It is believed HBO would pay to produce the multimillion-dollar event, as well as for security and cleanup, in return for the rights to cable-cast performances by Bon Jovi, John Legend and a dozen other top acts.

However, a rep for the cable network denied the behind-the-scenes wrangling last night.

The Central Park tribute to the fallen would be a prelude to the ceremonies the following day at Ground Zero, where the families of the nearly 3,000 victims will hear the names of their loved ones read out loud.

I'm not sure how I feel about that.

On the one hand, I feel any tribute to an event as horrific as the 9/11 attacks should, in my opinion, be more respectful than a rock show; a rock show seems more like a celebration.  I guess my gut reaction was disgust over the culture today -- we want to commemorate some event / someone's life / whatnot, let's see who'll do it up biggest, and which network / station will pay the most for broadcast rights.

But on the other hand, a celebration is okay.  As a country, we pulled together in spirit and purpose, and the extreme shows of bravery from the men and women in various fire, police, and military units during and since that event are definitely worth celebrating.  Also very much worth remembering and celebrating are the lives of those who were killed and the lives of their families as well.  There are some amazing stories of strength, faith, forgiveness, and healing in there.

I'm torn.

Assuming the rumors to be true, what do you think about it?

~ Hath

0 comments:


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP