Sunday, May 15, 2011

Working with Bootleg Files

Hey everyone!

I've gotten a bunch of questions about bootleg "rar" files, so I'm going to make one post about what I do with them (lol) then hopefully remember to link to the post when I come across boots to share.  Keep in mind that these are steps that work for me.  There may be better/easier ways to do it, but this has served me well over the last few years.

[1] RAR files are compressed archive files (like ZIP files). If there are multiple "rar" files for a bootleg, you almost always have to download them ALL to be able to unzip them.

[2] You can open/extract from RAR files with a number of programs; some of my favorites are winRAR, winZIP, and 7ZIP (free). There are other tools, but these are the ones I use on my PC.

[3] The contents of the RAR files will (obviously) differ depending on what you're downloading.

FOR DVDs:

For video bootlegs, the RAR file is most likely containing the DVD directory (VIDEO_TS) with a bunch of files under it -- with extensions like ISO and BUF. To get this to something usable, you need software for burning a DVD. I use the utility that comes with DVDVideoSoft's bundle (free), but you can use Nero, Roxio, or a host of other tools.

Most burning tools require both VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories. If there is no AUDIO_TS directory, you can create one. It doesn't matter if it's empty (apparently), it just has to be there.

Example:

You have a bootleg "rar" file called JoviVideoBoot.rar

Create a directory on your computer called "Jovi Video Boot"
Open the JoviVideoBoot.rar file using one of the tools above, or a tool of your own choosing
Extract the "VIDEO_TS" directory to the "Jovi Video Boot" directory you created
Create a new directory under "Jovi Video Boot" called "AUDIO_TS"
Using the DVD Burner that comes with DVDVideoSoft (or a tool of your own choosing), create a DVD with source as the "Jovi Video Boot" directory.

FOR AUDIO:

Many audio bootlegs come in FLAC format, which is a high-quality audio format. Unfortunately, while it plays spectacularly well on the computer, not so much on your iPod. (I don't know if any other personal music playing devices support FLAC, but iTunes/iPod does not.)

Open the RAR file using one one of the tools listed above (or any of your choosing).  This will let you at the individual FLAC files inside.

In order to play in iTunes, you need to convert the FLAC files to something else. There are websites you can use to do the conversion, but there are a couple ways you can do it in batch on your PC.

You can download this free utility set from DVDVideoSoft, which contains an audio converter that lets you bulk-convert a bunch of files at once, right on your hard drive. You can also use WinAMP (one of my favorite media players on my PC) to do the conversion.  This tutorial is pretty good on that.

Now you'll have MP3 (or WAV, or whatever) that can play on your iPod.

Good Luck!

~ Hath

2 comments:

Anonymous,  May 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM  

Thanks Hath, I wasn't one of those asking the question but you've cleared things up for me. Oh, and I can't thank you enough for sending me to dvdvideosoft, I use it ALL the time since you told me about it over a year ago.

Vicki

Genie P/fivefivegenie,  May 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM  

How fast is dvdvieosoft? I've got another file converter program that converts it, but it takes FOREVER! (I usually have to set it up with a big batch of stuff to convert & start it when I go to bed.)


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP