Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Greatest Hits

The guys took some time to snap a few photos for the Greatest Hits promotions/cover/whatnot... they posted one of them on Facebook:


In a photo shoot for the... GREATEST HITS!! Any guesses on what songs will make the album?

Many of the commenters piped up with their suggestions / ideas, but a couple posters stuck out in my mind:

Karen Walker
Karen Walker
CROSSROADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All you people suggesting the OLD favourites they are already on a greatest hits album. For goodness sakes lets not have a re-released Crossroads adding on a few more hits!!
Colin Howard
Colin Howard
Why not make it an acoustic album instead of tracks we already have. something new.

A dissenting opinion, Anthony Kuzminski posted his thoughts on the GH album on his blog, The Screen Door.

I love Colin's idea, though the record is pretty much in the can already -- maybe GH-3?  I think an all-acoustic release would be beautiful and would appeal to a great deal of the fan base.  But, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

In my opinion, Karen's comment is spot-on.  Yes, the classics are the classics, and no collection is complete without them, but I don't think the market is the "new fan since The Circle came out who needs to round out his/her Jovi education" fan.  The market is the "I just re-bought all the records with the 'special tracks' on the end, and now you want me to buy those songs again??  Are you  nuts??" fan.

We long-time fans just shelled out mucho dinero to supplement our collections with the Special Edition CDs.  The new fans saw the SpecEds come out, said "Ooh!  I don't have all those songs" and purchased what they wanted already.  Or they found Crossroads and were happy.

Of course, I'm not in any way qualified to make a prediction about this.  I do believe that they should include more than just a rehash of their post-Crossroad records.  How 'bout some of the European-only bonus tracks?  How 'bout bundling it with an "official bootleg" from one of the Circle Tour shows?  Or Central Park?   How 'bout some "from the vault" demo tracks as a special bonus EP?  SOMETHING different.

Yes, yes, we're getting 5 new songs.  That leaves a whole lot of space for something special.

~ Hath

2 comments:

Catte Sambora July 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

I personally think this should be a "Greatest Hits Volume II", picking up where Cross Road left off. There's 16 years of music since its release in 1994--plenty to put on GH2, especially when you factor in 5 new tracks. Then of course they could release the Cross Road Special Edition with bonus tracks, to satisfy/suck in those who don't get Wanted and Prayer and Bad Name on this CD.

And oh, a Deluxe Edition GH2 with DVD including select live performances would be nice, too.

I'm actually curious to see how this will sell--with the modern capability to build your own Greatest Hits via digital download, do many people (other than die-hard fans) even buy Greatest Hits compilations anymore?

Anthony Kuzminski July 20, 2010 at 2:12 PM  

The biggest issue with a "Greatest Hits" volume 2 is they left a bunch off the first one and to confiuse matters more, the UK and Asian editions got a better rundown of songs. Can you really put out 2 GH collections and not include "Born to be My Baby", "In These Arms" and "Never Say Goodbye" on either? If the first collection had been definitive and complete, it would work. The other issue is (and this is not a diss), their 2000-2010 songbook hasn't had the same impact as their 86-90 period. It just hasn't and there's no way for a second standalone collection to hold up to Cross Road. It's an impossible endeavor that is geared for the masses (which makes sense). I just hope they don't have any gaping holes in the collection.


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP