Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Gillette Opener: Mission Hill



Mission Hill is an alternative rock band from my hometown.

Adam Jensen - Vocals, Guitar, Piano
Alex Knutsen - Guitar
Takuma Anzai - Drums
Nick DiSpagna - Bass

Their bio on ReverbNation says that they:
...[mix] provoking songwriting, catchy hooks, moody vocals, an energetic live show, and strong musicianship with an unerring commitment to their unique sound. Since forming in 2006 they have gained a large east coast following through indie distribution and relentless gigging (including a one month stint at the Hard Rock Cafe in Saigon).

Their new songs have received much critical acclaim including recently being awarded an LA Music Award for “Indie Male Vocalist of the Year”, as well as being named to the number one spot on Alternative Addiction’s list of “Top Ten Unsigned Bands in the Country”.
All I know is I like their music.  And I would love to sit down with them and talk about their experience in Saigon.

Why am I telling you about this?  Mission Hill won the OurStage Wanted: A Superband contest w/ Bon Jovi.  They will be opening at Gillette Stadium on the 24th.

Last month, Jamie Stryker, with Platform-1, asked me if I would be open to working with Mission Hill on any level.  They have a new album coming out, as well as the Gillette gig, and she wanted to know if I thought that other Bon Jovi fans would be into their music.

I told her honestly, that I needed to hear the music first, to make sure I was honestly working with a band I liked.  I have absolutely no reservations about recommending this band to you, my dear readers.

Yep, I think other Jovi fans will dig these young guys from Boston.

I've spent some time with their EP "Save Me From Me" and with the acoustic Tuesday offerings on their YouTube Channel and have not been disappointed.


Tracks from "Save Me From Me" (courtesy ReverbNation):
The EP is available on iTunes and through their website.

I know bands don't like it when they get compared to other bands -- everyone wants to be unique.  So I apologize in advance for comparing them to the likes of Daughtry, Matt Nathanson, Mason Mraz, John Mayer.  Not that the sounds or styles are the same, but the music feels comfortable and familiar when you listen to it.  You can dive right in and know you're going to like it.

Chunky Music says of them:
Overall, this music is highly marketable. Think a younger Bon Jovi style band. While lacking the smash hits that make Bon Jovi … well … Bon Jovi, this band if they keep working will surely stumble upon these songs as their chemistry improves.
Like Bon Jovi, the band sounds true-to-record when playing live.  For me, that's important.  Anyone can over-produce a record and make even the scariest of voices *coughlikeminecough* sound good.  Adam, the lead singer, has an amazingly strong voice.  His voice is good, not produced to be good.

Here's a clip of them live, from Portsmouth's Redhook Festival in 2009. It's a medley of a couple songs.



Their new single, “Crazy” is getting rotation on some of the stations here in Beantown, and has been getting steady airplay in many cities across the country.

My favorite track (so far) is "Forever Anyway" off the first record, though I haven't found any "skippers" in the bunch.

Being an acoustic lover, this version of "Forever Anyway" I absolutely ADORE.  There's just something more intimate about guitars, a gentle beat, and the voices... Nothing to distract from the beauty of the song.



Hey now, it's alright
Nobody home in the world tonight
I can't hear a single word you say
Stop, drop, load and lock
Take it down if you wanna rock
'Cuz, we're gonna live forever anyway

The band is really good, and I encourage everyone to give the music a listen, and not skip them come the 24th.  Seriously.

~ Hath

5 comments:

Anonymous,  July 7, 2010 at 2:32 PM  

Thanks for the recommendation Hath, they sound really good. It's always great to find new bands to listen to because there isn't much around right now that I like.

If I was at Gillette then I'd go in to see them, alas I'll be in London. Have a great time at the show, I look forward to reading your review of the amazing setlist (I have faith!)

Jamie,  July 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM  

This is a great post, Hath! Mission Hill is going to be a great Bon Jovi opener!

Anonymous,  July 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM  

Great article/blog. I def love their music, thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous,  July 9, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

great recommendation hath! love their music, the acoustic tuesdays they do on youtube is unreal, they've got serious talent and are sure to blow up soon. keep us updated!

Anonymous,  July 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM  

Thanks Hath...what a truly amazing find! After watching their acoustic Tuesdays and listening to their myspace on replay, I can't wait to see what these guys do next. Already bought my Jovi ticket...see you there! -Michaela


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP