Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Who Dares Wins



I've always been partial to the winged guitar, myself. I just think it's beautifully done, and the words, "Who Dares, Wins" is a fantastic life lesson: Know who you are, take command of your life, and go after what you want. Oh, and don't take any shit from anybody. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

It's also the motto for the UK SAS branch of the British Army. No lie. Probably others, too, but that one for sure. The SAS emblem is below...



There's some argument over whether this is a dagger, or the Sword of Damocles or Excalibur, but I don't think the sentiment changes depending on the blade's definition. Though I kind of like the Arthurian reference myself.

Of course, if you interpret it as Damocles' sword, well, that kind of makes Temptation take on a whole different meaning, no? I mean "I'm gonna hang my head down tonight on Damocles' sword" of course makes reference to Damocles wanting a taste of the good life of his king, Dionysius...until he learned that the king always had a sword hanging over his head by a horsehair.

In the song, the hero is leaving what he knows for the temptation of something better, in this case, a beautiful woman. But is it really better? Are there hidden dangers that he doesn't see? He can't seem to resist

Twist my wrists/Tell me I should resist/But the flesh is weak

though he knows he should; he knows he's in trouble.

Temptation / Go home lord / I'm walking straight into the ocean / Tell the tide I'm on my way

But if Richie's tat is based on the SAS badge, and the blade is "Damocles' sword", then laying your head on Damocles' sword could represent leaning on your brother, your best friend, when you're in trouble, and relying on him for help. Laying your burden at his feet as it were.

That's probably way too freaking deep for 5:30 in the morning.

In any event, I'm rarely philosophical or quasi-insightful this early in the day for a reason, and I should stop it right now.

Want a tat like Richie's of your very own? Here's a larger drawing to take to your tat parlor.



~ Hath

2 comments:

Kris July 1, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

I always like this part of his tat, but I'm not sure I like what he'd done after his divorce. Though I never got a good pic of it. Do you have a full shot of the right arm?

The Goddess Hathor July 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM  

Kris, I'd have to look in my archives lol. I do know he has a beautiful angel up high on his shoulder, and Ava's name in script alongside and a bower of flowers, I think... He had to get Heather's name off his bod lol...

~ H


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP