Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Interview with John Shanks

From Guitar World


This month, Shanks begins work on his fifth album with Bon Jovi. A few weeks prior to joining the band in New Jersey for tracking, he called to talk about his recording and songwriting career, as well as his work with Van Halen.

You’re recording your fifth album with Bon Jovi. Talented songwriters, great musicians, studio veterans and nice guys — what more could a producer want?

This new album is going to be great! We’ve got a lot of songs and we’re ready to go. There’s a really strong body of work here. It’s been a small group of people writing these songs. I’m proud of the stuff we’ve written and I’m excited about it. Might another song or two get written? Maybe. But we’re going in with a full load of artillery and songs that we feel really good about. We’re recording at Jon’s house. We’ve done some stuff at my house and at Electric Ladyland that we’ll probably keep and work off of, so some songs we’ll be building on and some we’ll track in the room with the band.

What is the history of your working relationship with Bon Jovi?

We were supposed to write one day a long time ago, maybe 2001. I flew back east to see my parents, checked my messages, and Jon had called to ask if I wanted to get together and write. We knew each other a little bit and he had my number. I had to call him back and tell him that I was in Boston and driving to my parents' house. He said, "Don’t worry. There’ll be other times.” I got another call asking if I could come to New Jersey to produce their next record. I shipped some gear, brought my engineer with me, and every day we would write from noon until 4 or 5 and start recording. On the second day, we wrote “Have A Nice Day” in his guesthouse, then we walked across the lawn and started recording. Richie and I did guitars all night and background vocals and a scratch vocal from Jon. I played keyboards. The band came in and put drums and bass on it. That song was almost a record overnight. It felt like a hit, so we just went for it. Some of the songs we write and record like that and some we wait for the band and track live. “We Weren’t Born To Follow” was tracked as a band. “Superman Tonight” was done slightly differently. I’m really excited about this new record. I love the songs, we have a direction, we have a sound and we know what we want to do.

You can read the rest of the article here.

~ Hath

0 comments:


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP