Monday, March 21, 2011

Memphis: Coming Soon to a Theater Near You

Saw this in the LA Times Blog last week, but haven't had two seconds to get it up here for you.

Are you ready for a "Memphis" onslaught? The Tony-winning, crowd-pleasing Broadway musical is set to play in movie theaters around the country before the launch of a national tour this year. Meanwhile, the production at the Shubert Theatre in New York, which opened in late 2009, is going strong.

"Memphis" will play in movie theaters on four days: April 28, 30 and May 3 at 7:30 p.m., with a matinee May 1 at 12:30 p.m. (You can check for movie theaters at the official website for NCM Fathom, which is one of the presenters of the event.) A spokeswoman said that the Broadway production was filmed in January over the course of several performances, with original cast members including Montego Glover and Chad Kimball.

The national tour of "Memphis" will begin in Memphis, Tenn., in October at the Orpheum Theatre. The tour will stop at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood from July 31 to Aug. 12, 2012.

The musical saw an early run at the La Jolla Playhouse in 2008 before moving to Broadway. Directed by Christopher Ashley, "Memphis" won the Tony for best musical. Joe DiPietro wrote the book while the score is by David Bryan — of Bon Jovi fame — and DiPietro.

"Memphis" tells the story of love and romance set in the segregated South of the '50s. Along with NCM Fathom, the cinema presentations are being organized by Broadway Worldwide.
So, here's my dilemma.  I'm interested to see how the movie compares to the Broadway performance.  However, I've always been disappointed in the film adaptations of ANYTHING I've seen on the stage.  Anyone else have a pre-disposition to forego the film version of a stage play?

~ Hath

6 comments:

Big Apple Jen March 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM  

I'm definitely going to check it out ... ironically, just a block away from the actual theatre where it lives.

And forgive me for inserting shameless plug here ... if you like the show, like David Bryan or anything related to MEMPHIS, please sign up for the newsletter here and support me as one of the show's "superfans" (their label, not mine LOL) You can win a pair of tickets to see the show!

http://www.memphisthemusical.com/jennifer-nagel.html

Thanks!!!

Anonymous,  March 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM  

Hath,

Am I missing something here? From what I'm getting from it - it's not a film adaptation...it's the actual stage production that was filmed. ???

Thanks for all the updates - you ARE my go-to person/blog for ALL the info!! :)

harmonicana March 21, 2011 at 12:36 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
harmonicana March 21, 2011 at 12:38 PM  

Oops. Anyway:

it seems it's not a film version but a filmed stage performance so you should go.

i love watching stage shows on video. it just gives more detail instead of sometimes being stuck in really bad seats.
but big movie adaptations of a musical? well yes they can be terrible. some were legendarily bad like a chorus line.

Lora March 21, 2011 at 1:03 PM  

WOOHOO!! it will be near me!!! JAN!!!!!! lets go!!! Luckily the touring production is also coming next year! I can't wait!!!

BubbleSheep March 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM  

I'll luckily be in the States for the 28th April showing, that maybe the only chance of me getting to see it!


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP