Friday, December 25, 2009

Rarities? Believe it when I hear it...

After 25 years of crafting rock anthems and stadium hits, Bon Jovi could fill a two-hour show with nothing but the obvious choices. But Jon Bon Jovi tells Spinner when the group hits the road this February in support of their new album, 'The Circle,' things might be different this time.

"I had a conversation just the other night with a reporter who came to a television broadcast and her thinking was maybe [play] some more of the obscure tracks, maybe some more of these album tracks you either play when you're in Europe or you don't play that often," he says. " I said, 'Gee, aren't I supposed to satisfy the needs and not be the selfish artist who wants to play these album tracks because you paid to hear me sing all the ones you hear on the radio, the hits?' And she's saying, 'No, you guys have also been around so long that most people in this audience have in fact seen you a bunch of times. So feel free -- believe me they know how 'Bad Name,' 'Prayer' and 'Wanted' go. You don't have to do them all the time every day.'"

That conversation obviously resonated with the frontman. "Granted, we're always gonna want to do those ones, but what if we don't play 'Always' and that was a monster hit ballad? What if you don't feel like playing ballads that night, so you don't do any of them? I think we've earned the right to have that freedom," he says.

That freedom could stretch to 'The Circle.' "This new album, I feel like it could be a great opportunity to do the album in its entirety. We've done that before when we did 'Lost Highway.' Because of the Nashville influence, it allows for that," he says. "The [new songs] were just made to be played in a stadium venue."

Guitarist Richie Sambora says whatever rarities his frontman wants to bust out, the band will be ready. "Jon's the quarterback, he's gonna call the set list and there are gonna be audibles and that happens all the time," Sambora says. "A lot of times we'll be sitting in the dressing room and Jon will say, 'Hey, let's just pick this song up, play 'These Days' or 'Keep the Faith' or something like that that we haven't played in 10 years.' Then we'll learn it on the spot, and take it on the stage that evening and play it. It's really gonna depend on the feeling of where we're at and what's going on."

source

I remember getting "I Get A Rush" at one of the shows last tour, and I nearly fell out of my chair. And that isn't even a rare song!

So tell me, what rarity would you like to hear on tour? And what could you do without?

~ Hath

5 comments:

JBJBounce December 25, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

So long as I get Wanted every show, they can switch out all the rest. As for rarities, anything from the box set that they've never done. Kidnap an Angel? Hell, I Get a Rush would make me happy. Temptation would be awesome. Any deep cut from ANY album would suit me. And Jon can skip Bed of Roses AND Always. Just rock my socks off!!!

Catte Sambora December 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM  

Ohhh, SO many I'd like to hear, but if I had to narrow it down....

Do It To Ya
Last Chance Train
Neurotica
If That's What it Takes
Stay
Only Lonely (yeah, like THAT's gonna happen, LOL!)

As for what I can do without... I'm over Who Says and Bad Name (unless it's the TLFR version). Not a huge fan of Always or Bed of Roses, either. If Jon's in a ballad-y mood, I'd prefer Living in Sin or Lie to Me

And taking it one step further... covers I'd LOVE to hear live:

Fever (bring it back, PLEASE!)
Feel Like Makin' Love
Have a Little Faith in Me
Hungry Heart (even without Bruce!)
Pour Some Sugar on Me (could you IMAGINE???)

And I'll take Hallelujah ANYTIME.

joviswillow December 27, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

I honestly think here that that issue is your definition of "rarities". While a zil of us would love to hear anything off the box set or, gods forbid, LMIB or Temptation... I'm afraid that HRH's definition of rarity is more like "Undivided" or "Someday I'll Be Saturday Night" - the ones that we have heard on tour, just not heard very often.

But I really hope that I am wrong.

HaylRS December 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
HaylRS December 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

I'd like to hear Richie sing one of his solo songs from Undiscovered Soul as a rarity, I heard him sing IBTFY last year and it was great!

I hope you had a nice xmas, Hath (and other members)! :)


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP