Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We enter an "Era of Responsibility"



Where I worked, nearly everyone in my division (~150 people) stopped whatever it was they were doing and gathered in the conference rooms and lobby to watch Barak Obama take oath as the 44th President of these United States.

His speech was thoughtful, well written, and delivered beautifully; and if we as a nation can accomplish even a quarter of what he envisions for this country, we will be in a better place.

His goals are noble and many, but not so varied from presidents of years past. He speaks of freedom, equality, better schools, healthcare, and environmental directives. It is sad to see that we as a nation, as arguably the most powerful nation on the planet can't seem to resolve these issues that plague us year after year, administration to administration.

Maybe the difference THIS year, with THIS administration is that I believe Mr. Obama truly believes the speech he delivered.
What is required of us now is a new era of responsibility - a recognition, on the part of every American, that we have duties to ourselves, our nation, and the world, duties that we do not grudgingly accept but rather seize gladly, firm in the knowledge that there is nothing so satisfying to the spirit, so defining of our character, than giving our all to a difficult task.

This is the price and the promise of citizenship.
Pony up, America.

~ Hath

3 comments:

Anonymous,  January 20, 2009 at 3:22 PM  

I finished work an hour erlier than usual to watch it on TV. For me as an German it was lots of pomp and circumstance, but very impressive.
My hope as an European is, that President Obama will find the dialogue with the other countries, not like former President Bush. I wish him all the best for this job - the most difficult job in the world.

Anonymous,  January 20, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

I watched it live at 5.30am New Zealand time this morning. Amazing. He is a special man! Just amazing to watch and be able to share live!!

Maxine
Kiwigirljbj

TaraLeigh January 21, 2009 at 2:27 AM  

I'm with you Hath--if he even does a little bit of what he says, I'm going to be happy. he's got a long road ahead of him, but maybe--just maybe--he's got as much heart in him as he says.

God, I hope so.

We desperately need this change.


Can I Live Here?

The Devoted

So What Does She Blog About?

Goddess' Playground

T's Place Fan Fictionistas Bon Jovi Toxic Avenger Topix.net FF Authors Samboraly Yours Jovi Calendar Jovi Nation

About This Site...

All my stories are pure fiction, and of an adult nature. No offense or harm is meant to anyone. If these types of stories don't appeal to you, don't click the links above.

Some of the other ramblings in my blog,the news-type items, are gathered from Google Alerts and emails I subscribe to, and things my friends send me. They're as accurate as the data I receive :o)

Please, come on in, look around a bit, and stay a while. And, if you end up reading something, please leave me a comment so I know you were here...

Where In The World Are The Goddess' Readers?

Thank You....

... to Laney (aka the Queen of Swing) for the gorgeous banner!
(c) 2007-2012 by The Goddess Hathor
All original content is copyrighted and all intellectual property rights apply.
PLEASE: do not post any of the stories found wholly (or linked) on this site anywhere.
Links are OK, text excerpts are not.
I am in no way affiliated with the band or any of its members. I'm simply a fan looking for a way to celebrate my favorite band.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

    This site best viewed with FireFox or Google Chrome

Back to TOP